roo "surfing" on hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickchicks, Nov 16, 2011.

1. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    OH MY !

this morning i get up let the chickens out and the roo zelda struts out and jumps on one of the hens right in front of me to "surf" [​IMG]

this is the first time ive seen this , i was expecting there would be a little romance but no he did not !

then he stud tall and i thought he would do his first ever crow loud and proud ....... no ... he just peeped hjis little head off , i think he was embarresed as i laughed and he lowered his head and scuttled of into the coop alone [​IMG]

he is about 15 weeks old and is a barnevelder breed.

should i expect this to becomea regular occurence? not being a prude i was asking as if he starts to crow andits loud i may have to get rid... he was aday old anddid not realise male till now hopefully theneighbours wont catch on [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Oh, yeah, he'll crow and crow some more!

3. hamilton3475

hamilton3475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    maybe the neighbors wont mind the crowing

4. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    HAHA, mine has no romance either! Someone said they would do this little courting dance and then do the deed, HA, not mine, wham bam thank you hen [​IMG] Mine only crows in the morning, 5 times in a row, then thats it!!! Good boy [​IMG]

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    The chicken courtship ritual makes caveman style look like a true romance novel. [​IMG]

6. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    I've noticed as they get a little older they will be less aggressive and will take the time to do the little dance first. But young cockerels are very unromantic.

7. hamilton3475

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Hmmmm sounds like the human male lol [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    ive been worrying from day one about having cockrells as the neighbours are all around and my mum doesnt like the idea of it. so far ive convinced all inc my mum not to say anything about it as if they know im sure the neighbours will start hearing things before it happens

ive always been the neighbour that makes no noise or trouble so .... we will see they do love the chickens though andnow they have started to lay again im sure afew eggs would be good for them if the noise does start [​IMG]

it wasa shock to me this morning he grabed her right infront of me i though come on some privacy and a dance for her first !!!!

i think he will think twoce now about the surfing with me laughing , he may be a chicken but it didlook like i upsat him , as soon as i laughed he shot tstraight into the coop.

id love to keep him indefinatly as he is quiet and runs fromhis own shadow soi hopefully wont have problems with him being agressive *fingers crossed*

and you never know if he good i could have little chickies [​IMG]

9. hamilton3475

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:My roosters should take lessons from yours. They crow all day and start around 2am in the morning lol. Luckily I dont have any neighbors near by.

10. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I don't have a rooster so take this with a grain of salt but I thought I read on here that you shouldn't let roosters mount a hen when you are around because you are supposed to be the top of the pecking order or something like that and a rooster wouldn't try to mate in front of the head rooster. I just thought I'd mention it since your roo is still really young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by