Roo to hen ratio question

You certainly can have fewer than 10 hens to one roo. Just watch that the girls are not being over-mated and end up with rooster marks. This is when the rooser wears down the feathers in the areas that he mounts the hens and it can lead to bald patches. It can be prevented by using saddles or aprons.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I have someone who wants to swap 2 hens for a roo and that would leave me with 3 hens. My RIR are my best layers so at this point I'm going to pass. I'll hold out for a free roo on craigslist

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

They want two hens for a roo!!???? That is funny!!

I wish you were closer, I have a bunch that we've been too busy to send to freezer camp.

Last edited:
We have someone on Cl trying the same thing then he actually contacted me..I told him he would wait a very long time for any chicken owner to make that trade
gig.gif
do they really think those roos are worth something.Most I have ever paid for one is $10(ok I may be cheap but) and I'm more than happy to give my extras away just to reduce my feed bill.
I never run over 8 hens per roo and prefer less just to ensure fertility..they will find their favorite if they have too much choice.We have several trio's here and it works fine.

This guy wanted $20 for the roo or the two hens. For $20 I can get ten or so chicks and skip the whole incubator thing. I'll continue to search CL or just order some chicks.

Back
Top Bottom