Roo too big for hens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by valley ranch, Mar 9, 2011.

1. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Greetings, We have two hens that are limping. One hen about a month back had a broken leg. We checked and fixed places where they could get a leg caught. Could it be that our Cochin Roo is too large for our Leghorn hens. He is pretty good sized but didn't seem that heavy. What's your thought.

Richard

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I don't know I have a big BO roo. My 2 smallest hens are a leghorn and a strunted red star ( previous owner just free ranged with no added feed ) and they don't seem to be having a problem. [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I see you have mini horses, could they have gotten stepped on?

4. valley ranch

No the horses are kept seperate to the chickens as are the goats and the dog!! The chickens are totally isolated from all our other animals.

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    are they getting enough protien and calcium? their bones might be brittle and breakable.

6. valley ranch

We feed them Flock Builder, Scratch and Fortified Grit. I don't think that is the problem.

There is a small gap between the wall and their nesting boxes, I'll fix that tomorrow.

7. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    yes i agree. try giving them scrambled eggs or yogurt as a treat every once in a while.

8. valley ranch

Wifey has a theory: The chickens haven't been in sunlight for some time due to the deep snow, overcast days and the fact their stall in the barn gets no direct sun this time of year. No sun no Vitamin D. No Vitamin D and they cannot take up Calcium.
    That would support your mention of Calcium deficiency. You mentioned also Modzoon [yogurt] Modzoon contains a bit of D.

while the sun was up the girls brought them into the front stall for sun and we will lace their water with Cod Liver Oil.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    also oyster shell is a great source of calcium and if you feed it in a separate bowl from the feed they will just use as needed.. and I think wifey might be on to something, we live on the north side of the mtn. which means from Nov. to end of feb. we get very little sunshine, so to counter that I take calcium and vit D3. gotta take care of them bones..

10. valley ranch

The Grit we use has calcium, I believe in the form of crushed Oyster Shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by