roo tries to talk hen into laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Montana cluckers, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Montana cluckers

Montana cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    okay, I'm new to this chicken business and I am having a great time! I NEVER thought raising chickens could be so fun! I have a question/observation about my frizzle cochin roo - he was in the coop with a RIR hen today, he would get into one of the next boxes, scratch around, cluck and talk, and sit on the plastic egg I have in there to show them where to lay; then he would jump out and she would get in there and do the same thing! it was the funniest thing! I kept expecting my girl to lay an egg, but she never did. Do roos do this type of thing often? He is the only roo we have that will peck at food and call the girls over to share, too. I affectionately call him my "puppy chicken" because he follows me everywhere![​IMG]
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's a great roo and you'll want to pass on those genes!
  3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yes they do! And even when they the hens begin laying the roo will still do it if he thinks they are not laying when they should, late or etc. There are some pretty big roos out there that cram themselves into the nest boxes...

speckledhen's blue orp, Suede, will get in the nest box. Her Delaware roo, Isaac, is a laying cheerleader like yours. My splash roo used to do it before he passed away.

A good roo is priceless, sounds like you have one.
  4. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    one of my RIR roos does the same thing, its kinda funny
  5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    My rooster, Lord Firestar, does that too. It's extremely cute. [​IMG]
  6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    He is definately a keeper. My Little Roo does the same thing. He is letting his girl know that this is a safe place for her to lay her egg(s). Has he danced for the girls yet. Sounds like he will.
  7. Montana cluckers

Aug 31, 2010
    Buttercup chillin - he dances all the time, for the girls and for me! I just love him!
  8. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Don't let him dance for you!

If you do he will consider you nothing more than a member of His flock that He can boss around!

He then will get aggressive whenever he thinks you are a threat, i.e. when you need to examine one of the girls for any reason.
  9. Montana cluckers

Aug 31, 2010
    how do I stop him from dancing for me? I pick him up, hold him like a baby, etc. He still tries to peck me (I have a scar on my hand already from him).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by