Roo violence.. head injury

Pics

threeepeat

Songster
Dec 26, 2022
Canada
Okay so the adventure continues. My 3 roos (5 1/2 weeks old) have been in a bachelor pen for about a week now, but today I discovered one down with the top of its head bloody. It's looking like a brain injury also as the injured roo is having difficulty standing and balancing.

I haven't looked super close yet but it seems not that severe at first glance. Right now, I have it separated, resting in a dark box while I research best treatment.

I had been keeping the roos in the dark to keep them mellow with each other. I think that was working because today I let them have some light and this seems to be the result.

This has probably been answered numerous times in many variations but what is the best practice to treat a bloody superficial wound on the top of a quail's head? And is there anything else to do?

My guess is to clean it with some kind of antiseptic or peroxide, and then apply some Polysporin which is called Neosporin or something I think in the US. And then keep it separated to recover. Is this a good plan?
Its behaviour, twitching, flopping is most concerning.
This is the original wry neck full recovery chick that could not walk for a few days. And now it's back to flopping around, can't stand :confused:

20230127_112215.jpg

Last edited:
Okay so the adventure continues. My 3 roos (5 1/2 weeks old) have been in a bachelor pen for about a week now, but today I discovered one down with the top of its head bloody. It's looking like a brain injury also as the injured roo is having difficulty standing and balancing.

I haven't looked super close yet but it seems not that severe at first glance. Right now, I have it separated, resting in a dark box while I research best treatment.

I had been keeping the roos in the dark to keep them mellow with each other. I think that was working because today I let them have some light and this seems to be the result.

This has probably been answered numerous times in many variations but what is the best practice to treat a bloody superficial wound on the top of a quail's head? And is there anything else to do?

My guess is to clean it with some kind of antiseptic or peroxide, and then apply some Polysporin which is called Neosporin or something I think in the US. And then keep it separated to recover. Is this a good plan?
We just kept it clean and kept them separated

What did you use to clean the wound? Is peroxide too harsh possibly?
Okay I've been reading a bit. I'm going to clean it the first time with peroxide and then try coconut oil to seal the wound. I also have iodine so maybe I'll use that too in couple days. I guess this is why it's always good to have extra separate spaces ready to go.

Its behaviour, twitching, flopping is most concerning.
This is the original wry neck full recovery chick that could not walk for a few days. And now it's back to flopping around, can't stand :confused:

View attachment 3388068
That’s really not too bad of an injury as far as male Jumbo Brown Coturnix go. Once they hit 5 1/2 to 6 weeks, they seem to become aggressive if excess males are together. I just saw Zach’s video about keeping them in the dark to keep them calmer, but have not tried it yet.

Your plan below of Hydrogen Peroxide once, then coconut oil and iodine sounds good. In the future, if you need to clean a wound, you can use distilled water or normal saline water to soak Q-tips, then gently roll them over the wound.

I have a bunch of excess males that are 5 weeks, so they are about to get mischievous. I am going to start trying to assess how much they grow between week6 to 8 to determine the cost /benefit ratio of waiting until 8 weeks before butchering excess males.

That’s really not too bad of an injury as far as male Jumbo Brown Coturnix go. Once they hit 5 1/2 to 6 weeks, they seem to become aggressive if excess males are together. I just saw Zach’s video about keeping them in the dark to keep them calmer, but have not tried it yet.

Your plan below of Hydrogen Peroxide once, then coconut oil and iodine sounds good. In the future, if you need to clean a wound, you can use distilled water or normal saline water to soak Q-tips, then gently roll them over the wound.

I have a bunch of excess males that are 5 weeks, so they are about to get mischievous. I am going to start trying to assess how much they grow between week6 to 8 to determine the cost /benefit ratio of waiting until 8 weeks before butchering excess males.
I think there's still enough growth to warrant it. After 8 weeks, there's just though

The roo seems to be okay and improving slowly. It's still just lying around but I think it managed to drink and eat a little. A very little. My only concern is that its head continues to spin or twitch back and forth repetitively at times. This suggests brain injury to me, but it could also just be how this injured quail presents when it's in shock.

Back
Top Bottom