roo vs hen sounds

hunterblu123

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
SW Ohio
So I some chicken that I have no clue what they are now. I've posted pics here and most of them are roo. Well today the one (I have to post "its" pic later) everyone including me said was a roo is now cackling they are 14 -15 weeks. Do roo's make cackling sounds? I do have a few roo's just starting to crow. No eggs yet but I'm sure its anytime. This chicken in question is a mix.

My roos make an egg laying cackle every time one of their hens lays an eggs. My roos make way more variety of sounds than the hens do.

Lanae

I am new to this -- I have five 6-week old chicks. How early can you identify rooster vs. hen sounds? Also, at what age do the chicks stop "peeping" and only make grown up chicken sounds?

I am new to this -- I have five 6-week old chicks. How early can you identify rooster vs. hen sounds? Also, at what age do the chicks stop "peeping" and only make grown up chicken sounds?
welcome-byc.gif

At 6 weeks, you should be able to tell gender by comb size, and in some cases the color of the bird. Sounds aren't very reliable as they're all still babies, unless of course you start hearing crowing!

My chicks are usually around 4 months when they stop peeping and start making grown chicken sounds....by then you should be very sure who is what gender by appearance.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure mine are all hens, but I was just curious if there were other sounds that were different (other than crowing). It's fun to listen as they start making different sounds.

Back
Top Bottom