roo with frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ravenseye57, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ravenseye57

ravenseye57 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    I had to seperate my roo from the flock for a few days because he was pulling the saddles off of my hens that lost back feathers (see "rooster thinks saddles are the enemy"). It got very cold one of the nights (-8) even though it wasn't predicted to, and his comb and wattles got frostbitten. Now there's black dead skin on his wattles and comb tips. I'm afraid of gangrene. Can't afford a vet and I'd hate to cull him since he's a very good roo. What can I do for first aid? [​IMG]

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    the dead black parts will drop off.. just keep an eye on it. usually they are fine

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=447542

See post #5.

I currently have a roo I am contemplating dubbing because he has such a bad case of frostbite on his wattles. I am holding off because I really hate cutting into living birds (unless I am transitioning them from living to not living) and I also hate the idea of disfiguring him unless I absolutely have to. I feel your pain. Let's play the waiting game together!

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by