Roo??

Welcome! He's very handsome! I don't consider cockerels 'sweet', rather 'bold' and 'sizing me up'. I prefer the boys who avoid me and pay attention to their flockmates instead, and I don't try to hand feed or make 'pets' out of them either.
I do hope that you can rehome him soonest, so put out feelers right away. Or, move to where he can live with you...
Mary
:goodpost:

Very good advice.
Both of the cockerels I kept acted afraid of me and kept their distance even as young chicks.
They’re both turning out pretty good so far.
One is almost 9 months old and the other is almost 5 months.

Many people buy/ order 'pullets only' but sexing day-old chicks is difficult and not 100% accurate. Often some cockerels arrive anyway.
Some of us order 'straight run' chicks, and have plans for those extra cockerels. It's also informative to find out what happens to all those extra cockerels at the hatchery, because it varies, and can be pretty ugly at some hatcheries.
Mary

Let me clarify what I meant by saying the cockerels are "sweet". They usually appear "sweet" and like they like you. Really, I consider that being bold behavior. Cockerels are approaching you may seem like "oh what a sweetie! this chick is so friendly". NOT. From day 1, they should be avoiding you. Sweet and friendly today, may turn into not seeing you as head honcho later. I don't enjoy keeping roo's. I think they are gorgeous and I love to hear them crow, but don't enjoy their possible bad behavior, their chasing down my girls to mate, their trying to separate the hens from me/ giving a warning call whenever I have to pick up a hen for a check over.

Back
Top Bottom