Roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Yaya's Hen House, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Yaya's Hen House

Yaya's Hen House Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    George West Texas
    Ive read some previous post and thought I would just throw this out there to see what I get back.

I have 1 roo, Barred Rock 19 weeks old, just love him! He is such a pretty boy! 3 Barred Rock hens same age as the roo, 5 Buff Orp hens, 16 weeks. We had the Barred Rocks first and when they were about 3 weeks old we got the Buffs & 6 guineas. All raised from day old chicks, we had them in the same coop but separated by a wire fence for several weeks before we combined the two groups, So they knew each other before we put them together, it's been about 3 months since we put them all together. About 3 weeks ago we separated the guineas and let them free range, beause the the guineas were really starting to be aggressive toward the Buffs and they were raised with the Buffs. Thats when the Roos started being agressive towards the Buffs as well. My Roo is pulling Buff feathers, lots of feathers. Is it just that he is young and has to many ladies to look after or is he being mean? Did he pick up bad habits form the guineas? He has been trying to mounting the Barred Hens here lately and attempts the buffs. But mostly he just pulls the Buffs feathers. No eggs yet.

Im trying to give him the benifit of the doubt, but if he doesnt stop Im gonna have to....... let him go, if you know what I mean!

Yaya, from So. Texas

2. twistedpickle

twistedpickle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    northfield
    I would guess he is just trying to be king of the hill, he should calm down soon. If he is causing wounds ,I would put him in the meat locker.[​IMG]
    I also had a barred rock roo and he was very aggresive toward the ladies untill about 6 months of age. He was great with beans and rice. good luck

3. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Ditto on watch him. I don't worry about pulled feathers unless they really clear a big space or blood shows up. I have a pullet I had to pull from the flock because she was everyone's whipping boy and not only had half of the feathers pulled from her rear section, but had a big wound where they pecked her. Everyone's much happier with her pulled from the group and there are no further problems, so I'm not sure whey they chose to pick on her, but if I had problems with a particular bird injuring the others, they'd be gone.

4. Yaya's Hen House

Yaya's Hen House Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    George West Texas
    Thanks for your replys! I will keep watch and if the Roo keeps it up HE WILL BE SUPPER! Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i think young roos are very clumsy. mine are finally not pulling the feathers out and are more gentle now that the girls stop and squat for him..there is no chasing or harrassing them now..

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree about the clumsy thing. They're just clods when they're young. And yes, feathers get pulled sometimes. It's not meanness unless it's excessive, they gotta hold on to something!

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'll include this link because it has some of the people I really trust on here talking about rooster behavior. I think it challenges some popular myths.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250327

In my opinion, some roosters deserve the crock pot, the ones that are naturally bullies or become a danger to humans. I also believe many, if not most, roosters that are oversexed or clumsy while teenagers will mature and mellow out if given the chance. It also helps a lot when the pullets are mature enough to stop resisting.

You might let him free range with the guineas or otherwise separate him until he and the ladies mature some more. I would not separate the ladies since they are already integrated. And just because some pullets submit does not mean he will leave the others alone. I've seen a rooster start the dance next to two pullets. One pullet squatted for him, but he had his eye on the one next to her. The momentary apple of his eye ran away and he ignored the willing gal. I have enough room so she easily got away from him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by