Roof construction and covering - the bane of my existence!

I lived in a 14th century thatched cottage in the UK and we have more than a few here in the village. The house in devon was quite a menagerie and there were critters living in that roof I'd not like to meet up close. Our first night there, one of these crawled out of and (back into, thankfully) a crack in the ceiling over our bed. Needless to say we moved to a room without a cracked ceiling ;)

OMG, that is so gross! I'm going to have nightmares now.

If you are really looking at something different, you could consider using 2 ltr bottles (repurposing what you/family/friends/co-workers/kids' classmates drink from)...

That's more than a little awesome, PaintedChix. Definitely one to keep in mind.
To answer the OP's question about books and resources, these authors came and gave a workshop in my town a couple of years ago, and they seemed very smart and practical. The book they wrote has plans (which I imagine include roofing instructions) and is oriented toward a green/environmentally friendly build:

http://www.amazon.com/Reinventing-Chicken-Coop-Step-Step/dp/1603429808
Nice one BB! I think I had an earlier version of this book - just the designs with no idea how to build them. This looks much more useful. I'da loved the chance to pick the authors' brains.

Wow, what great reactions on my post for a green roof.

The picture i posted was not mine but i do have a green roof (sedum) on a shed for our bicycles and garden tools.

We have it for 10 years now and never had a problem with leaks or unwanted weeds between the sedum.

I dont know about availability in the states.

If you use EPDM do use the proper glue or you can get serious problems with a leaking roof. Best way to make a green roof is with a light slope. If you make it flat you need a lower situated gutter for the rain to drip out of the ground.

Back
Top Bottom