1. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    Here is our coop and run, we are trying to figure out a way to cover at least part of the run so the chickens have some shelter from the rain and snow. Would a hoop design work? Using PVC and a tarp or plastic? The run is approx 20'W x 30'L.
    Any ideas? The less expensive the better of course.

[​IMG]

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    It would probably but then you'll have to replace the tarp often when it starts to dry rot and wind starts tearing it. Also i don't know how good it would hold up to snow. Hopefully someone with some better ideas will chime in soon.

3. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    Does no one have any ideas?

4. henryholub

henryholub Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Altus
    What about a canvas tarp. Should last longer than a cheaper poly tarp. You could watch Craigslist for old barn tin, put up beams, and cover that way, or instead of covering one large area, set up several smaller lower covered areas. Just a few

5. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure if the coop roof could be retrofit to extend to the edges of the run somehow?

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The one main problem I see it no matter what you do unless you go outside to outside you are going to have a runoff inside the run. That being water, snow or whatever. What I would probably do if it were me is put up a section down the center just as though I were going to build a wall but leave it open, but have the top plate to hold the roof. Then cover half of that half with whatever you decide with some type of gutter to catch the water runoff and channel it outside the remaining part of the run. Maybe over all a little more trouble but when you're done you won't have to concern yourself with redoing it. [​IMG]

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Does that tree line provide shade in summer? If so a fairly cheap rain protection that would last is to extend the shed roof in front or a lean to on side to provide shade rain/snow and wind protection. I guess I'd just go on side right to ground. Have it under drip edge, 4X4 framed and cover with tarp for now or actual metal roofing, Perhaps you can find used roofing.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    how about building a lean to type of frame higher side to the coop of course. Then just use some cheap wavy plastic roofing material or metal roofing and coverits good enough when the long side is about 4ft high and the short one maybe 3ft. Gives them shelter from rain and airborne preds.

9. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Just add a few 4x4 beams across the top. I use small metal elbows and screws to attach them to the 4x4 posts. Then lay exterior plywood for the roof. Give the roof a small slope to drain to the sides. This gives plenty of shade in the Summer and keeps out alot of rain and snow. Tarps make very poor roofs. You can also you corrugated metal but this is more costly. Below are a few pictures of my covered chicken run. I used no-climb horse fence around the sides to keep out the goats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    The picture with the goats in it, looks like the best idea to me. You could put gutters on the side to keep the water run-off out of your coop yard when it rains.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by