Roof of mouth yellow

chocluver

Songster
8 Years
Nov 7, 2015

Hello

I thought my old girl had an eye infection and was treating it then noticed this in her mouth. Lots of google / forum results show canker but it doesn't look quite like the images. It doesn't smell at all, it's not soft and not weeping or pus like. I can't budge it.

Her right eye has been gunky for a few days so on antibio eye drops. Eating normally.

I will ask the vet tomorrow but in the meantime, any ideas?

Thank you

Last edited:
View media item 7962713
Hello

I thought my old girl had an eye infection and was treating it then noticed this in her mouth. Lots of google / forum results show canker but it doesn't look quite like the images. It doesn't smell at all, it's not soft and not weeping or pus like. I can't budge it.

Her right eye has been gunky for a few days so on antibio eye drops. Eating normally.

I will ask the vet tomorrow but in the meantime, any ideas?

Thank you
Yellow gunky deposits in the mouth suggests canker which is treatable.

Thank you for this. I read that about pigeons but no we don't, crows, magpies, small birds. Their water is cleaned regularly. I need to check all the others and get her some antibiotics tomorrow. She also has some lice and a lot of nits but the others don't, I guess that she hasn't been dust bathing. She is 9 years old so a bit slow

Do you think this looks bad, or quite far advanced?

Do you think this looks bad, or quite far advanced?
Yes, to me it looks advanced but a prompt treatment with metronidazole or similar will show if she can get rid of the flagellated protozoa and be restored to full health.
Some soft nutrient rich feed like scrambled eggs with grated carrots, millet, rolled oats and sunflower oil will help to regain some strenght.

Yes, to me it looks advanced but a prompt treatment with metronidazole or similar will show if she can get rid of the flagellated protozoa and be restored to full health.
Some soft nutrient rich feed like scrambled eggs with grated carrots, millet, rolled oats and sunflower oil will help to regain some strenght.
She's been on a nutrient rich diet for a few days since I noticed the lice. She's eating very well, still enjoying grain and she doesn't look like she has difficulty swallowing which is a surprise.

The lice seem dead but I don't know yet what to do about the lice. Vet first thing tomorrow, Thank you!

Hello, update. I got the metronidazole and also an anti parasite medication for the whole flock as a precaution.

First dose of the antibiotic seemed to make her drowsy, I thought she was dead but she was perky again 20 minutes later .

The yellow bits..should I see these reduce during the treatment time?

Back
Top Bottom