Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Cover with metal

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Cover with clear poly

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
I'm fond of metal roofing. Inexpensive and easy for amateurs to instal correctly - which is no small thing. Sucks to spend a ton of money and a ton of time installing and have it leak. Reflects a lot of heat, too. My coop is ambient air temp just six or eight inches from the metal, and shade cool at a foot from the metal. I do have plenty of ventilation.

If you are concerned about ambient light levels, use the cheaper wave profile metal panels, and use some polycarbonate panels of similar profile. The good news is, with a few clamps, you can temporarily hold things in place on a still day, and get a good sense of how much light the panels allow in or block, depending on your ratio of metal to poly.

When I redo my raised co-op, I'm going to work some poly in. I don't need it for the goat barn. Probably two pieces out of eight - just enough to break the shade, and I won't use clear poly. White probably.
Are you able to grow any plants in your run like that?

Which direction does your coop/run face? What will you cover the walls with? If they are open, ie, covered with hardware cloth or fence, the chickens will get plenty of light in the morning/afternoon, depending on the orientation of the run.

Will the rain plaster them to the roof? That's definitely an issue for me. Your roof has a steeper pitch than mine, though, so maybe not.
The sun comes up on the southeastern side and sets on the northwestern side. We have a lot of trees that block a lot of light though. Currently our run does not get much sun at all, but I think it's because the tarps hang down on the southern facing side. That is part of what we will be replacing as well.

I voted for uncovered.

In my case I had a few hawks hovering and looking like an Alfred Hitchcock movie along with a large group of squirrels in the tree above. I wanted open and as natural as possible so I went with this. 50% shade cloth with wide mesh. Like bird netting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NBQFR87?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
We live in Florida and the grommets will not hold up to a strong storm so that probably wouldn't work for us. That is part of the reason we are replacing the tarps we currently have in place. I find that very unfortunate because the tarps are pretty cost effective. Standing by the chicken coop, we can count six hawk nests. We have a family of red shouldered hawks that use our woods as a breeding ground. I have also seen a peregrine falcon in our yard. And I'm pretty sure we've spotted eagles flying overhead as well. We also have lots of buzzards come fall. Of course they only eat carrion. We live in the woods so we also have coyotes, sometimes in broad daylight, possums, foxes, raccoons, feral, dogs and cats, and probably several other predators as well. Well. Our run has to be fort Knox just to protect the chickens.

How long does it take for leaves to break down and fall through? We live in the middle of the woods so we have a lot of trees. But blowing them off is an option as we have a battery powered blower
Depends on the leaves. We have a pear and a prune near the run. The leaves break down in about 3 months.

In fact I have 2 runs right behind each other. They both have very strong netting on top. The netting on top is not flat but has a higher point in the middle. The leaves fall aside and in a kind of gutter where the to runs are connected.

I assume snow is not a problem in FL. For those who read along: the wet type of snow sticks to the netting and it accumulates. So you need a firm construction if you have a lot of snow. In our mild climate it doesn’t snow often and it rarely stays for more than a week.

I love the almost natural environment inside the run. With 3 berry bushes whos leaves fall of in winter and a Portuguese laurel with deep shade all year round. It also has a window under an angle with a sand-bath underneath and a tiny coop inside for extra shelter or a broody.

I live where snow can be 3' in one storm and summer highs are often near or over 100°.
I have metal roofing on my 16x26 run. Condensation does occur in spring with high humidity and temperature swings but it's not raining in the run from it.

My birds do find the sun enjoyable where it comes in through the sides. The solid roof provides solid shade well and protection from the snow/rain.

My vote is for metal. The plastic roofing can become brittle over time and does not withstand branches falling on it or hail.

I live where snow can be 3' in one storm and summer highs are often near or over 100°.
Your climate in winter makes your choice more obvious. For warm climates I doubt a roof is the best choice.
My birds do find the sun enjoyable where it comes in through the sides. The solid roof provides solid shade well and protection from the snow/rain.
Shade with plants in hot weather is better to get the temp down than shade from a roof with no plants.
The plastic roofing can become brittle over time and does not withstand branches falling on it or hail.
Right, if you choose a roof.

Your climate in winter makes your choice more obvious. For warm climates I doubt a roof is the best choice.

Shade with plants in hot weather is better to get the temp down than shade from a roof with no plants.

Right, if you choose a roof.

Ok fair enough.

I have yet to see a chicken run that the chickens don't demolish all the plants inside it.
Shade trees, vines etc can thrive outside a run but unless it's basically free ranging chickens digging or snacking leaves little to nothing growing.

Of the options the OP posted I feel a solid metal roof is a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom