Roofing materials for coop and run?

Hello there fellow Floridian. I think the hardware cloth on the bottom & sides are a great idea. I burried 1/4" hardware cloth under my coop for predator protection too. For roofing I used 1/4" plywood, roofing paper & then shingles over that. Also don't forget the drip edge. I was originally going to use the plastic corrugated roof, but the shingles were stronger and a lot cheaper. They're a bit more work to put on, but you'll do it once and know that you have a steong heavy roof. With the heat and sun we get here in FL, I don't feel the need for transparent panels.

Post some pics of your progress. I still need to post some updated pics of mine, but you can lok at my coop to see what I did.
Thank you! I just realized I hadn't checked this thread in a while LOL. Anyway, we finished the coop and run, and ended up using the tuftex which is drilled in, and seems very secure. They're in the shade so the run stays reasonably cool, too. Thanks! I will post photos soon.

Well, I really want to finish the trim before I take shots, so hopefully that will happen this weekend ;) I am going to call it the Backwards Coop because we built the very secure run FIRST and then we "inserted" the coop using the existing walls of the run. That way, even if the girls are "out" of the coop at night, I have no worries.

We've also blended the coop into the landscape using bamboo and fencing. I don't like nosy neighbours and we need to keep our chickens on the DL.

Back
Top Bottom