Roofing problems

lovelychicken

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Well, today boyfriend and I kinda had a little arguement over this coop. I wanted to chickens out cause the dust is starting to give me bad headaches so the coop needed just just be put together quick today. Weve been working on it for two weeks. He wanted to make it line up and everything perfect, I just said to get the thing up and running and you can make it look prettier later. Well, its together and the chicks are out but the roof is totally just sitting on the coop, no hinges or anything. The coop is 4 by 4 and he said the plywood is not wide enough to fit the top of coop. I think the coop itself is not totally square so the roof is giving us issues. Its supposed to hinge up so we can clean the inside out. Anyone else have problems getting the roof right? Well ill sleep with window open so I can hear if theres any creatures lurking around the coop for now but gonna try whatever I can tomarrow to make it work.

Quote:
well you sort of answered your own issue
hmm.png
your roof isnt lining up because, as you stated above, you told your boyfriend to "get the thing up and running..make it pretty later."

To make everything work properly, it needs to be square or at least pretty close to square, then there is level. This means you will need to take it apart and redo it. Hinges will not work if its not level and square (not to mention the right height all the way around). I would be very very careful with sitting anything heavy on top as the roof other than a tarp right now because it can go into the structure, killing your chicks.

Best to do it right the first time, taking your time and you will avoid these issues. Remember, Rome wasnt built in a day - so too, chicken coops
hugs.gif

Two hours ago I read a post and wrote a reply which i wanted to include pics of my coop. The sun came up, I went out to take pics, finally figured out how to get them on here and realized I closed the page with the unfinished post and lost all of it.
he.gif
So anyway, hubby helped me build the coop over a couple weekends. It still needs a few more things. The huge solid gate is at the moment a big door we have to lift and move since I was on the phone with my sister while i was building it. It needs to swing in, instead of out like I had wanted... The orange construction stuff was 100ft for $30, 4ft wide. Zip ties are my new best friend. The hill that is my entire 2 acres is my nemesis at times and friend on occasion. The little runt guy posed for the picture. My post earlier that i lost in cyberspace was much funnier... but now on my day off i have to get ready for work. Someone put a 9 am appt on my book. For now I am just gonna see if all the effort of the last two hours will even show up on here:-D. wait.. i'll post this then find the pics..

Lid put together but still needs to be painted so old lid is on with a hatchet tightener to keep anything from getting in, its not moving. he's worked very hard on this coop/run. this being our first attempt its taken longer than anticipated but you learn by doing so i have a feeling the next one will go much more smoothly....well, hopefully.
smile.png

I have been working on my coop for well over a month. I had to build a temp coop to get them out of the house whiule building the coop. I say you kind of get what you asked for. My wife wanted purty. wel the main coop will be/is purty. But the down and dirty coop I built in 4.5 hours - works to get them out.

I was asked why i have to paint everything before putting it together. Becasue i know how much work it is to paint with it apart - put together - it takes even more time and will look like (well chicken poo).

enjoy your new coop. I hope it all fits good now.

Back
Top Bottom