Rookie mistake...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HimmelbergerHen, Feb 2, 2017.

1. HimmelbergerHen

HimmelbergerHen New Egg

Jun 22, 2015
    I put two ceramic eggs in my boxes when I switched the girls to a new coop in November. I didn't mark them. I now can't figure out which two of my three tan eggs are my fakes!

They spin the same, they sound the same when tapped, they scratch the same, they weigh the same, NONE are the same size as another, they're identically colored..... I don't know what to do! I don't have a flashlight bright enough to "candle" them.

Any ideas??

[​IMG]

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    After we ended up w a fake egg in our fridge, I took a marker and put big X's on them. The chickens don't seem to mind. Now it's easy to tell which is which.

1 person likes this.
  3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    My guess is bottom left and middle right.
    I don't have any white layers, so my fakes are white[​IMG] GC

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Don't feel bad, hon. I've been doing this all my life, and just last fall I sold a ceramic egg in a carton to a customer [​IMG]. I realized and told them. Their kiddos had a ball trying to figure out which was the fake. The finally had to resort to trying to crack them, that was the only way they could tell. I'm thinking you'll need to do the same.

5. dogkahuna

dogkahuna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Southworth, WA
    I've never candled a fake egg, but it seems like that would solve your mystery.

1 person likes this.
  6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    This is why I like using golf balls. [​IMG]

7. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no experiene with this, getting my first layers next week, but I'm just wondering... maybe a float test could show a difference?

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

I was just thinking the same thing. I too have never even seen a ceramic egg in real life but wonder if the float test might help decide?

9. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Ceramic eggs would not float either, just like real eggs... Candling is the best bet. [​IMG] Take the eggs into a dark room: our bathroom is really dark even in the day, either that or just wait until night time. Then just use the brightest flashlight you have, but hold your hand around it so that no light leaks past the egg. Even a not very good flashlight will at least get an egg to glow. The ceramic one will be pitch black. [​IMG]

I should mark mine. I have always been able to tell, but at some point I might be too tired etc. I think I will mark them today, in fact.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Haha!!
    I left a real egg in the nest the other night thinking it was a fakie,
    didn't realize until morning when I saw there were too many fakies.
    Real egg was frozen but not cracked until I 'tested' it...SMH.
    Remarked all my fakies more clearly.

Welcome to BYC @HimmelbergerHen
    Guess you'll have to wait until you break them to eat them.

ETA: cannot believe you have no flashlight, not one.
    Course I'm a bit of a flashlight freak/collector, have at least a dozen.... or more.

ETAA: not sure that material my fakies are, got them at TSC, very hard but they do float.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by