ROOKY MISTAKE TO SHARE

wardschickens

Chirping
Jan 20, 2018
Hello I joined today, I named off a ton of stuff I learned on BYC but I would like to share one thing I learned on my own. Three years ago, we bought 12 baby chicks. I lost over half of them. This past spring we bought 3 dozen so when we did raise them and lost them we would still have some left. When I was raising my chicks before they transitioned into the yard I put them in the plastic boxes with towels instead of shavings. I also left the water and food in ALL THE TIME. BIG MISTAKE. Huge!!! A day and a half into it and I already lost three. I thought what am doing wrong and how can I fix it. I looked inside and they ALWAYS spilled the water and food. I thought huh, I will change the towel every morning AND evening reguardless. I will only leave the water n food in for a ONLY few hours during the day. HUGE DIFFERENCE! Everyone flourished after that. No more chicks were lost. I ended up with six roosters and A BUNCH of laying hens now egg gathering time is like an easter egg hunt. Boy if I had known what the key was!! Anyway. I have talked to other newbys since then and come to find out it UNFORTUNATELY isn’t uncommon AT ALL. So please share.

:welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome
You are correct but the real facts are that baby ducks are baby ducks while baby chickens are just baby chickens and never the twain shall meet.

If they don't actually drown baby chicks will go skinny dipping in their water fount and by doing so become chilled. A wet or chilled chick is a dead chick, count on it. A bag full of children's marbles in the drinking fountain will allow the peeps to take a sip of clean cool clear water from between the marbles without getting dangerously wet.

You guys have good points I can only speak from personal experience. I may need to find a different watering bowl then. The ones I purchased no matter where/how they were placed were tipped over. Trust me. I didn’t try the marbles. It is something to be concerned about if a rookie is loosing chicks though.

You guys have good points I can only speak from personal experience. I may need to find a different watering bowl then. The ones I purchased no matter where/how they were placed were tipped over. Trust me. I didn’t try the marbles. It is something to be concerned about if a rookie is loosing chicks though.

I agree with Hamiam - sharing our successes and failures, for the benefit of others is commendable.

I suspend waterers, even if only a centimetre above the ground. I also use nipple waterers attached to small soda bottles.

CA3DD8FB-072A-47CD-B9A7-570476A1C301.jpeg
I had a strong cardboard box in a quiet corner of the kitchen. We bought plastic feedtray and water tray which were really inexpensive but my husband can remember his grandad putting a brick in an old plastic dish as a water dish for baby chicks. They couldn’t get in the dish, could just take sips from around the edge. I had seven babies hatch. No losses.

Attachments

• 183E97EB-5DC2-4DCB-88B5-A5412CD90F94.jpeg
    183E97EB-5DC2-4DCB-88B5-A5412CD90F94.jpeg
    505.3 KB · Views: 14
I agree with Hamiam - sharing our successes and failures, for the benefit of others is commendable.

I suspend waterers, even if only a centimetre above the ground. I also use nipple waterers attached to small soda bottles.

The nipple waterers sound like a good idea. In my picture (above) the chicks water looks mucky but I changed it twice a day.

I would like to start working on a plan for an incubator. My hubby gets uptight when I start talking about spending that kind of money on our chickens so I would like to get some great ideas on VERY INEXPENSIVE/YET EFFECTIVE incubators

Back
Top Bottom