room humidity

nelson1874

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
OK now that I'am in the right section and not the run and coop design here goes

I posted a week ago about my new Genisis and my 0 for 42 on my first hatch

So after alot of good advice I have purchased two hygrometers calibated both and reset 34 eggs

here is my situation, I am hatching in my basement and the room humidity is 55% when I run the bator with no water the humidity is 20% (not sure why) and when I add a very little amount of water it goes up to 53%

The room temp is very stable and I have the red plug on top of the bator out

So what should I do

Thanks

First off, the basement is the very best room for hatching.
wink.png
Constant temperature and high humidity.

"Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" says that during incubation (days 1-18) the humidity should be 60-62%. During hatching (days 19-end of hatch) the humidity should be 70%.

Also, the directions say to keep both red plugs in until day 18. Since I often have problems with too-low-humidity during hatching, I keep both red plugs in until after the first chick hatches (per reccomendation of a fellow BYCer).

Hope this helps!

I'd put the plug back in, but that's only me. I run about 25-30% in the bator with normal room humidity.
I'm dealing with a LG and I am not adding water until lockdown. Then, it's very carefully!
And don't worry, my first hatch was 0%. Second hatch was 50%. Third hatch is going on right now @7 peeps and counting. Humidity is bouncing from 65-90% as I try to stabilize it with opening/closings. We shall see what happens, but I can tell you it's all about constantly learning your equipment and environment.

My first hatch was 6 out of 24, second was 4 out of 25, last hatch I listened to a fellow byc'r, read the manuel better with the incubator and they both told me to take the plugs out....I also added a hygrometer..before my humidity was too high I was adding water every time it got low and the humidity was way too high and I didn't know it. the last hatch was 15 out of 25....if you go the June Hatching link by "Save The Favs" the first post is by her and I read it real good....

I just can't beilieve how fast the responses are on this site

Great read thanks

This whole thing is fun and frustrating at the same time

Well this is just me and my experience and I've only hatched a few times. The first two blew chunks big time and the the other three rocked! The first one was due to impatience, I ended up shrink wrapping chicks becuz I opened the bator to remove a chick. Not good. The second hatch was shipped eggs and we won't even go there! The third hatch was shipped eggs again, but from an incredibly honest, caring person-she rocks! And the last two were local eggs and my own. I ended up with over 40 chicks out of 52 eggs. Some of these eggs were clear. Not too bad if I say so myself! Now, I did a dry hatch which worked incredibly well in wet Central NY. The first 18 days were between 20 and 30%. I then cranked the humidity up to 60+. The temps ranged between 98-101 and this was with an LG with turner and pc fan. I will say I had chicks hatching in low temps of around 96 degrees and really feel that humidity is a major factor, more so than temps. There are very good threads on byc regarding dry hatches, definitely worth reading. I also talked to a local breeder of Black Coppers and BLRW's and she loves the dry hatch herself! Good luck, I will say this, read and then find what works for you. It really is about your environment also, record all of your tweaks and temps/humidity readings and you'll be thankful you did!!!

Get good thermometers and hygrometers and CALIBRATE!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom