room temperature for letting quail eggs rest

Hello hello...Welcome to BYC. What kind of quail are you hatching? Im still learning through trial and error. I have learned that hatching quail is more like hatching bird eggs. I always try 2 keep in mind their natural habitat and what they might do if they were still wild game birds. Happy hatching. Best of luck",((",:
So I am hatching a few standard coturnix and a bunch of mix jumbo coturnix. So excited, I can hardly stand it! :wee

Thanks for this info-I already let them rest in the 68 degree room and placed them into their incubators. I do have an important question for you though, the temperature gauges on my incubators (I have 3 Kebonnixs auto-turning units in new condition.) are set at 99.5 degrees. I used 2 mercy thermometers (traditional medical ones that we all used before the digital ones came out) and they indicated 99.8 degrees at egg level. I then tested the temp with my inkbird ITH-10 and it shows 98.5 degrees at egg level. I have 3 inkbirds units (they all are very close to similar readings, so I believe they are functioning correctly), but because they indicate lower temps, I don't know which thermometer to believe. Any thoughts? I have 65 eggs going. Thank you so kindly for your insights, I appreciate them!
Have you calibrated the mercury filled thermometers? If so, I would trust those readings. I'm not familiar with the ITH-10 inkbird but I have the ITC-306 inkbird controler on several of my incubators, along with some very accurate antique mercury filled incubator thermometers....which are highly accurate and reliable. I have to set the ink birds to 101°F for the thermometers to read 100°F, the temp at which is more stable than if set at 99.5°F. The ITC -306, only allows 1°F of change....doesn't allow for half degrees.

At this point, I would trust the thermometer and adjust the temp accordingly.

Have you calibrated the mercury filled thermometers? If so, I would trust those readings. I'm not familiar with the ITH-10 inkbird but I have the ITC-306 inkbird controler on several of my incubators, along with some very accurate antique mercury filled incubator thermometers....which are highly accurate and reliable. I have to set the ink birds to 101°F for the thermometers to read 100°F, the temp at which is more stable than if set at 99.5°F. The ITC -306, only allows 1°F of change....doesn't allow for half degrees.

At this point, I would trust the thermometer and adjust the temp accordingly.
I so appreciate your help with this Sean! So, my mercury thermometers show some variance in readings, but only off by .3 degrees from each other. How do I calibrate them? Because I wanted assurance about my temps, I went and picked up a Zoo thermometer/hydrometer and it indicated that my incubator was running 102 degrees! Yuck! My incubators are in a draft-free room with a space heater set to 79 degrees to help keep the incubators running as consistently as possible. Am I overthinking this or should I change something I am doing currently?🥺

So I am hatching a few standard coturnix and a bunch of mix jumbo coturnix. So excited, I can hardly stand it! :wee
That's awesome. Good luck. Here's the last batch I hatched of countrix... see attachment

Attachments

• 20230512_170012.jpg
    20230512_170012.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 3
I so appreciate your help with this Sean! So, my mercury thermometers show some variance in readings, but only off by .3 degrees from each other. How do I calibrate them? Because I wanted assurance about my temps, I went and picked up a Zoo thermometer/hydrometer and it indicated that my incubator was running 102 degrees! Yuck! My incubators are in a draft-free room with a space heater set to 79 degrees to help keep the incubators running as consistently as possible. Am I overthinking this or should I change something I am doing currently?🥺
@aart , has a great article on how to calibrate thermometers, you can do a search on here for the article and learn how to calibrate thermometers. It's a matter of getting some water to 100°F or a little above, then seeing what the thermometer reads that temp at...the reverse is cold water, 32°F and see what the thermometer reads. The difference is what you will use to know the correct temp. It's a simple % difference equation.

.3°F is not going to 'make' or 'break' a hatch! Never, ever trust the manufacturers instrument (incubator) sensors, they are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable.

@aart , has a great article on how to calibrate thermometers, you can do a search on here for the article and learn how to calibrate thermometers. It's a matter of getting some water to 100°F or a little above, then seeing what the thermometer reads that temp at...the reverse is cold water, 32°F and see what the thermometer reads. The difference is what you will use to know the correct temp. It's a simple % difference equation.

.3°F is not going to 'make' or 'break' a hatch! Never, ever trust the manufacturers instrument (incubator) sensors, they are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable.
I will look that up and thank you again for your kind guidance with this adventure!

Back
Top Bottom