Room too cold?

Slaphappy

Chirping
Dec 30, 2018
Chicago Illinois
I have the fluffs in the basement utility room. They are all huddled under premier one brooder most of the time. They come out to eat and drink and run back under. Obviously they are cold then right? Should I bring the room temp up? Or is this normal.

My chicks have been in the built in brooder in my coop since the day they arrived from the hatchery. Their heat source is a brooder plate. The coldest morning they experienced it was 28F. They were ripping around the brooder like maniacs that morning. They were just shy of 1 week old at the time.
HOWEVER, my brooder room is not damp. It very well ventilated. Damp can make a big difference and your basement likely is.
Can you post a picture of your set up?

Too cold. How old are they?
They are days old

Barely any chirping. Just soft chirps.
Room sensor says 67f

Here is setup
Screenshot_20190522-150929.png
IMG_20190522_150710.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_150717.jpg
    IMG_20190522_150717.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
They seem normal. Soft chirps are a good thing. Complaining is much louder. They will spend more time away from the heater as their feathers grow in in another week to two weeks.

Day olds will be under the warmer most of the time, regardless of room temp. Are they true day olds or shipped chicks which are actually 2-3 day old? Shipped chicks, too, will stay under the heat for a good time after arrival as they warm up and recover from the ordeal of being shipped.

FWIW, my babies are in ambient temps below freezing with their mama heat pad from day 1 and do just fine. By the second day they are running around and only ducking under occasionally

Back
Top Bottom