Roos? BO and Partridge Rock...help please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunAngel, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I think I pretty much know the answer, but I am trying to be in denial.

BO is 3 months old. Had no comb or wattles til the last couple weeks. Was positive this was a pullet...had young roos whose combs turned red at a month old. She had nothing compared to them, which is why I felt safe to keep her/him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is my only Partridge Rock. This is my 3rd attempt at trying to get a pullet. After taking the pics just now and seeing how he is feathering in. I am pretty sure its a boy also, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the worst part about having chickens. I am bummed!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. marcym

marcym Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    I vote hen on the BO, but I'm new at this.

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Really? Wow, I hope you are right. That would be great!

4. Namble

Namble Songster

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Yea i'm pretty sure your BO is a hen. As for the Partridge Rock i'm thinking its a roo

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    hen hen hen!!! The BO is a hen-I have BO's and hatched out alot of them and I can almost tell sex at birth from the way their comb lays on the head-Ive been right 99% of the time-with my own bo's NOTHING else! LOL Cant tell the other one though sorry :-(

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I so hope you both are right!! Then I only have to be half bummed!

7. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Buff orpington looks like a girl to me. The partridge rock also, looks like a hen...I have two partridge rock girls. It's the coloring that gives it away...

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

me too unless my BO voo-doo has failed me-I have 5 2 day old chicks in a brooder and 14 eggs under my broody due any minute-4 out of my 5 in brooder are roos! ALmost positive on that one :-( When they are born-I mean right out of shell-If their comb is flattened to one side-almost flattened because it was too big to stand upright in the shell?? its a roo and if it stands upright when born-pullet--thats my own way of sexing those buggers early-like I said I havent been wrong yet-on BO's!

9. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I guess I will hold onto the Partridge Rock to make sure. The coloring is totally different from my two Partridge Cochins though, that made me wonder also.

*Doing happy dance for BO pullet* [​IMG]

10. rachaelc

rachaelc Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    I was reading your post and loooked at your pics of your PR. I lost my little one about 2 weeks ago , any way she did not look quite like yours but as I looked at other posts I saw someone asking about their Barnvelders and I have to say your chickie looked just like theirs. Maybe check out the post and or barnvelders?[​IMG]
    Good luck
    Rachael C -mother of all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: