Roos? Hens? And what the heck am I?

EboyDog

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 15, 2007
Hallsville MO
At the beginning of April, I caught chicken fever and got in to this by buying some RIR's which indicated they were a straight run and out of 8, two are roo's; these I know who and what they are, BUT I got a little crazy (Orscheln's chickdays) and decided what the heck and bought 12 of what was described as "Rare breeds" (I first was just going to get 6 but felt guilty leaving the rest alone)

ANyhow... out of the 13 "rare breeds" I ended up with the most interesting bunch, four of them are black with feathers on their legs with hints of white and turgoise in their feather. I think a couple are roos as they are getting a little agresive to each other.

Here is one I think is a hen, but what breed is she if in fact she's a hen?

Fuzzyleg.jpg

Next is a bantam name Littlebit, she/he is SMALL! I thought she was a hen but now I am doubting it as in the last month she has been looking more like a roo with a a growing comb and waddles, she/he is so colorful almost like a rainbow when the light hits her jsut right!

Littlebit.jpg

And finally, "Betty" she's a big hen (hen? I think??) she's larger than most, keeps to herself and is very, well easy going!!

Betty.jpg

So what do I have short of too manys roos!!
big_smile.png
Once I figure out just exactly how many are roo's, I'm going to do a little culling at least at first making the offer for free roo's in central Missouri!!

Back
Top Bottom