Roos? Hens? And what the heck am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EboyDog, Aug 14, 2007.

1. EboyDog

EboyDog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2007
    Hallsville MO
    At the beginning of April, I caught chicken fever and got in to this by buying some RIR's which indicated they were a straight run and out of 8, two are roo's; these I know who and what they are, BUT I got a little crazy (Orscheln's chickdays) and decided what the heck and bought 12 of what was described as "Rare breeds" (I first was just going to get 6 but felt guilty leaving the rest alone)

ANyhow... out of the 13 "rare breeds" I ended up with the most interesting bunch, four of them are black with feathers on their legs with hints of white and turgoise in their feather. I think a couple are roos as they are getting a little agresive to each other.

Here is one I think is a hen, but what breed is she if in fact she's a hen?

[​IMG]

Next is a bantam name Littlebit, she/he is SMALL! I thought she was a hen but now I am doubting it as in the last month she has been looking more like a roo with a a growing comb and waddles, she/he is so colorful almost like a rainbow when the light hits her jsut right!

[​IMG]

And finally, "Betty" she's a big hen (hen? I think??) she's larger than most, keeps to herself and is very, well easy going!!

[​IMG]

So what do I have short of too manys roos!! [​IMG] Once I figure out just exactly how many are roo's, I'm going to do a little culling at least at first making the offer for free roo's in central Missouri!!

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    1st one is a Cochin male. 2nd one is a black breasted red phoenix female and 3rd is a silver penciled wyandotte male...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by