Roos or bossy pullets?

PickyNicky

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
Hi folks! I posted here recently and had someone mention that both of these birds looked like pullets. But over the last couple of days the behavior change has made me very suspicious that at least one is a roo maybe both or maybe just fighting for the top of the pecking order. So, I have here a flock of 7 chickens. 3 wheaten olive eggers 1 wheaten ameraucana and 3 Easter Eggers. They are 5-6 weeks old. Only 1 has pinkish/red to their comb and it is one of the smallest and least confident/assertive. Out of the two in question is 1 EE and 1 OE. Both about the same size with very small pale comb but they have been getting into a lot of squabbles. The EE seems to be picking fights with everyone. The OE only with that particular EE. I see them puff up at each other and even heard hissing a couple times. But it is the EE starting it every time. Can anyone help me decide who is what here? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20200507_080604_capture.jpg
    20200507_080604_capture.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200507_081749_capture.jpg
    20200507_081749_capture.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200429_161731.jpg
    20200429_161731.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200429_161810_capture.jpg
    20200429_161810_capture.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 21
OK, I'll try...I'm new to this too, but from what I have read on here, picture #1 looks like a possible roo due to the bigger comb and possible red feathering coming in on the wings. The other one isn't looking roostery to me, but again, I'm a newbie! I have what I am pretty sure are pullets that do the pecking order posturing thing, and I'm pretty sure they're just sorting out the pecking order. So I'm not sure if that helps or not :)

Might just wait on the crowing :). Breed and type of comb can influence how quickly they redden. I've got six 9-10-week old chicks and the peck-order jousting continues, with no one clearly dominating, so I'm hopeful I have all pullets. I'll count myself lucky if that's the case, as it seems I always get an accidental roo.

OK, I'll try...I'm new to this too, but from what I have read on here, picture #1 looks like a possible roo due to the bigger comb and possible red feathering coming in on the wings. The other one isn't looking roostery to me, but again, I'm a newbie! I have what I am pretty sure are pullets that do the pecking order posturing thing, and I'm pretty sure they're just sorting out the pecking order. So I'm not sure if that helps or not :)
Thank you!

I’d keep an eye on the EE. That one red feather on its wing! The comb doesn’t really say 100% cockerel yet.
That one is the one I was mostly thinking too. He/she is a jerk! Haha. But is it common for a pullet to stand up to a roo like that? I would think a pullet would back down and most do, but this one does not. But she is sweet with me and all the other chicks, but she is the only one who doesnt back down. I have heard wheaten roosters would have a lot more dark feathers by now though. She is actually the lightest coloring of my wheatens.

Last edited:
First is a cockerel. Second looks to be a pullet.
Thank you!! So maybe the pullet is just destined to be at the top of the pecking order. She doesnt take any of his BS! But she is never the one to start it. She is also the best forager!

Thank you!
Good luck, and have fun! You seem like an observant flock-keeper who is paying good attention to your wee ones. Peck-order interactions are really interesting and, I think, way more complex, sometimes subtler and less linear than one might assume. In any case, the world of chickens is routinely saner and more satisfying than the world of people, and I hope you have a long and gratifying experience with your birds.

Back
Top Bottom