Roosing pole issues

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
I have a hen and 3 pullets in the same run/coop. There is a 4' long closet rod roost that is easily accessible to everyone. I only see the hen on the roost off to the very far side next to the wall. The pullets are roosting on the nesting boxes, tails in and making a mess. Hen won't let the pullets on the long roost.
I'm planning on adding a smaller 2' roost near the nesting boxes for the pullets but not sure if that will help, I've got limited space because I need to be able to get to the nest boxes on the far wall. Coop is 6'x4'.
Not sure how to deal with this? Ideas??

My pullets only tested the "recommended, 2" diameter round pole" placed for a roost a couple of times and only 3 of the 5 that I noticed....They slept on a shelf inside the little coop. They tested when they were about 3 1/2 months old but never seemed to really roost. So I installed a 3" wide board as a roost over a poop board in their new coop....they'll move in (hopefully) by the weekend. And since last week ALL of them are roosting.....in their current old coop an the round pole.....go figure!!! So they will have booth soon - I will place the small (3 3/4 x 4 1/4) coop inside the shed and have the roost board in the back of the shed. Maybe a board would work for yours or maybe they will start when they are a bit older. Mine are 5 - 6 months old

You may want to use a flat board like a 2x4 with the 4" flat surface sideways so they can put their feet flat on it. I have both a rod and 2x4's on a ladder like roost and they always prefer the flat surface over the rod. HTH!

My hens began roostin in the nest boxes...so at night when they roost, I cover the boxes and hope soon they will go back to the roost only to sleep on....time will tell!!
smile.png

Quote:
I agree. Chickens don't grasp with their feet all night long. They get settled and then release their feet and rest on their keel bone.
You can cover the nestboxes at night, but need to be sure to uncover them early in the morning. That doesn't work for me since I'm not ever conscious early in the morning.
I broke the hens that were roosting on the nestboxes by going out every night after dark and moving them to the roosts. Took being consistent and several nightly trips, but now everybody uses the roosts.
Also, be sure your roosts are higher than your nestboxes. Chickens will naturally want to go as high as possible to roost. If your nestboxes are higher than your roosts, guess which one they'll want to use.

I'll echo the other comments recommending a flatter surface.

A 2"x2" or a 2"x4" is far better than a round rod.

If you've got a long roost that will have many birds on it, use the 2"x4".

2x4 it is then, I think I have a piece I can use too without having to cut it down!
Can't cover the nesting box, have so many things to do in the mornings I would forget it!

Quote:
Somebody better tell my girls this news.
I have 3" diameter tree branches (barkless) set for them to roost on but their usual all night roost is on a partition that is not even 1" wide. Honest - it's like they are roosting on lathboard!

All 5 line up there at night - when I go to close up the coop I have to watch how I open the door so I don't clock a roosting pullet (door opens in, right near this partition).
And they are there in the morning.

Occasionally one will roost on the branches at first, but I always find all 5 lined up on the thin roost every morning.

They use the branches like a jungle gym and to get up on the partition.
The branches are higher than the nestboxes and the partition is the same height as the branches.

Last edited:
Quote:
Somebody better tell my girls this news.
I have 3" diameter tree branches (barkless) set for them to roost on but their usual all night roost is on a partition that is not even 1" wide. Honest - it's like they are roosting on lathboard!

All 5 line up there at night - when I go to close up the coop I have to watch how I open the door so I don't clock a roosting pullet (door opens in, right near this partition).
And they are there in the morning.

Occasionally one will roost on the branches at first, but I always find all 5 lined up on the thin roost every morning.

They use the branches like a jungle gym and to get up on the partition.
The branches are higher than the nestboxes and the partition is the same height as the branches.

Yes, but have you offered them a wider flat roost? Not to say that they can't grasp their feet all night, just that they prefer not too.

Back
Top Bottom