Roost and Nest Box questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CowgirlMama, Apr 19, 2011.

1. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Ok, so I've looked all through the threads, and can't find some of what I'm looking for... so here goes: I'm wondering if I put my nest boxes 18-24" off the ground, how high do my roosts need to be? I know they should be higher than the boxes. Will I need a ramp or ladder for the chickens to get on/off them safely? I have BAs, BRs, NHR and GSL.

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    As long as they are higher that the nest boxes the actual height doesn't matter much but a few feet higher would be best. If there is enough room for them to fit on top they'll roost in the rafters....ramps won't be necessary.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    The heavier breeds would probably need ramps if your roosts are more than 3 or 4 feet high, lighter, smaller breeds may not need ramps.

4. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Keep in mind that if you plan on clipping their wings, you would not want them to high.

5. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    So, if I'm planning to place my nesting boxes 24" off the ground, having a roost at 3 and 4 feet is ok? I'm not planning on clipping wings. Thank you!

6. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    Cowgirl
    My nest boxes are two feet off the ground and my roost are four feet high. I do have a two ft high pole (or roost) in the middle of the coop. some of my girls jump up to that first then to the four ft one. others just fly right up to the four ft one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by