Roost and root

I know this is an old thread but I did purchase this one https://roostandroot.com/product/round-top-stand-up-chicken-coop/#1-choose-standard-or-xl-model-coop and here is my feedback:

1. Definitely overpriced. Why did I get it? It looked good in the pic. The quality is definitely not great but not that bad either. It is cedar wood. But it seems to me that they have used scrap wood to build this.
  2. I have 4 bielefelder hens and it's barely enough room for them. They are fairly large hens. So the size does not work for them.
  3. When it rains, the water seeps into the nesting area.
I spent nearly $3400 on this back in Nov '20. Not sure where are with this now but if it's not too late, my advice is to not get it. You are better off hiring a carpenter to build one or build one yourself. I've built my friends off a plan we downloaded as a pdf file. His coop is way more sturdy and better quality than mine.

Sorry to hear of your experience with this coop. I wanted to chime in to say that I think the company - as do most companies that only sell coops (not a coop with a run, because there are those out there) - builds these types/sizes with the expectation that the hens will free range. It’s definitely not big enough for four chickens of any size to be in when they are not roosting. I have 12 hens and they all fit fine on the roost of their Round Top model but they do have an extended run (that we built - it was not part of the kit) that they are in when they are not free ranging. I have not had any issues with leaking or poor quality wood.

I bet if You call the company and ask about the leak, they will discuss how to make the issue right with you.

To be clear: I am not a paid spokesperson for them, nor do I get any special compensation for speaking positively about them.

Attachments

• 9731AA8C-3AB7-4F4B-8B21-1A8F2FD46330.jpeg
    9731AA8C-3AB7-4F4B-8B21-1A8F2FD46330.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Sorry to hear of your experience with this coop. I wanted to chime in to say that I think the company - as do most companies that only sell coops (not a coop with a run, because there are those out there) - builds these types/sizes with the expectation that the hens will free range. It’s definitely not big enough for four chickens of any size to be in when they are not roosting. I have 12 hens and they all fit fine on the roost of their Round Top model but they do have an extended run (that we built - it was not part of the kit) that they are in when they are not free ranging. I have not had any issues with leaking or poor quality wood.

I bet if You call the company and ask about the leak, they will discuss how to make the issue right with you.

To be clear: I am not a paid spokesperson for them, nor do I get any special compensation for speaking positively about them.
Hey, thanks for your response. No need to be sorry. Just trying to be honest and accurate with my experience. I am not going to bother calling them because I am moving out of state and will sell this coop for the right price. This is the XL version by the way. I will post pics soon.

All I am saying is the quality is not top-notch at all. The wood is very "scrappy" and breaks easily. Definitely not worth paying over 3 grand for it.

Hello all: just came upon this thread as a new chicken momma who got the roost and root walk-in coop this past spring. I have 5 hens and a rooster who spend their days free ranging although they definitely like having a morning nap in the coop. I built this with my two teenagers and have been happy with the quality (durable, easy to clean) and design (2 nesting boxes, good roost space, good ventilation) thus far. We shall see how it fares this winter in Vermont but so far no complaints. I agree it was expensive — but finding help for refurbishing sheds (or building a fence or running water to the barn etc) right now is impossible here with the labor shortage. So for me, this was an investment that freed me up to work on other projects on the farm and I am happy with the purchase. And the ladies and gent definitely enjoy their “palace”.

Hello all: just came upon this thread as a new chicken momma who got the roost and root walk-in coop this past spring. I have 5 hens and a rooster who spend their days free ranging although they definitely like having a morning nap in the coop. I built this with my two teenagers and have been happy with the quality (durable, easy to clean) and design (2 nesting boxes, good roost space, good ventilation) thus far. We shall see how it fares this winter in Vermont but so far no complaints. I agree it was expensive — but finding help for refurbishing sheds (or building a fence or running water to the barn etc) right now is impossible here with the labor shortage. So for me, this was an investment that freed me up to work on other projects on the farm and I am happy with the purchase. And the ladies and gent definitely enjoy their “palace”.
We have their round top walk-in and duck coop. We love them both too, and have not had one problem with either of them. We did add a large run, but they are also able to go in and out all day, so they only use the coop at night. I think that is ideal. We are adding another coop now just because we want more chickens, but doing a horse stall conversion instead of buying another structure.

We have their round top walk-in and duck coop. We love them both too, and have not had one problem with either of them. We did add a large run, but they are also able to go in and out all day, so they only use the coop at night. I think that is ideal. We are adding another coop now just because we want more chickens, but doing a horse stall conversion instead of buying another structure.
Yep I think if they were stuck in the coop all the time, it would be too small. And I added a chicken run in advance of winter which I plan to wrap with clear tarp….

Attachments

• 339D1447-C5F0-4CA3-BE9E-A9A48F35204C.jpeg
    339D1447-C5F0-4CA3-BE9E-A9A48F35204C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom