roost bars -- headroom?

feliciadawn

Songster
Mar 31, 2020
Delaware County (near Philly), PA
I am modifying a premade coop that seems to have a lot of changes necessary. I already added ventilation. Now I need to change the roost bars, which were apparently inappropriate in the first version (too narrow, not enough space, too low). So the question is in the title: how much head space do they need. I have venting now across two walls on the top 3 inches of the coop. Assuming we don't want their heads in the path of the cross draft, how much lower should the roost bar be from the vents?

I did try searching old forums but didn't see this exact question.

btw: the coop I got was the half flap hen house: http://halflaphenhouse.com/. my new roost will go across lengthwise, and attach to the two green walls.
Also I am doing an exterior nesting box add on as well -- lest readers are concerned about space issues. I plan to have 3-4 hens.

Thanks so much! Love you guys.

Never seen that coop design before... I can see why you want to modify it (even in their photos you can see how crammed in those hens are with the nest, feeder and waterer all in one place).

I'd say about 12-14" above roost just to be able to get on and off.

Cross drafts could be tricky - first thing I'd check is is there a draft above the roost (best to check during a windy/stormy day) and if so, how bad is it? Ideally I'd think you'd want any draft to blow well above their heads (3"? 12"?) but if that's not possible then you could try to mitigate it by buffering the wind from outside, with some sort of awning or louvered cover over the vents.

Thanks for your advice.

Ideally I'd think you'd want any draft to blow well above their heads (3"? 12"?)
How tall is a chicken when roosting?
this is a picture of how the top of the coop will look (things are put together but not yet nailed into place. There is a bit of a louvre on the plastic roof. (Note that the roof with be secured with bungee cords).

Attachments

• IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 45
They hunker down once they're on the roosts... You know, I never thought to measure, so I'm not exactly sure how tall they are over the bars. Just a guesstimate, but about 6" I'd guess?

You'll have a better idea once the coop is in place, assuming you can get your hands inside at least (without having to open up everything) so you can test for drafts at the actual location. Using a lightweight ribbon held at the height where a chicken would be roosting, you ideally want to see little to no movement of the ribbon while a storm is blowing through.

Never seen that design before either, it's very strange.
Guessing it's about 30" x 40"?
They don't give dimensions, that I saw, other than roost are 14"
Even with an added exterior nest, I can't see more than 2 birds living in there.
I'd admire adding the vents, but the roof does not look like it will shed water.
Unless you're going to put the whole thing in a weather and predator proof run.

Back
Top Bottom