Roost Bars - Size

Apr 10, 2021
Sacramento, CA
Is this roost bar too narrow? My boyfriend's parents build us a gorgeous coop and run, but I want to be able to offer constructive criticism regarding these roosting bars if they are too thin. I feel like the girls feel unstable and they are only around 7 weeks... what will they feel like as full size hens?
20210506_195207.jpg

Is this roost bar too narrow? My boyfriend's parents build us a gorgeous coop and run, but I want to be able to offer constructive criticism regarding these roosting bars if they are too thin. I feel like the girls feel unstable and they are only around 7 weeks... what will they feel like as full size hens?
View attachment 2654631
Looks like a 2x2 so it's nominal width is 1.5". It'll be fine. You can offer other diameter roosts if you want, even natural branches as they offer texture for grip. They are just harder to clean when they get pooped on.

The most popular roost bars are 2x4's -- with whether to use them wide side up or narrow side up a matter of hot debate. If that's a 2x2 then it's the same size as a 2x4 narrow side up and should be fine.

My own preference is natural branches/tree trunks about the thickness of my wrist or a bit larger -- but that's because scrub oak and young pines are weeds on my property while lumber costs money.

Your 7-week olds may not roost reliably for several months yet. It's not because of the roost but because of their age. :)

I use 2x4s narrow side up because when I was reading about roost sizes, my husband was waiting for the answer, so he could build the roost. One of the first things I read was about chickens getting sores on their breasts from the keel bone rubbing on the roost as they slept on wide side up 2x4s. So I said, narrow side up.

I didn't have any issues with frost bitten feet. I have seen them hunker down on the roost, and their feet disappear beneath their feathers.

In that case, the 2x4 wide up would be too wide. It's not hot debate, it's a cage match....
I am definitely of the opinion it is too wide. I looked up a bunch of studies in the scientific literature that tested what chickens prefer and none of them found chickens prefer flat, wide roosts. They preferred 2 inch wide roosts. And I agree with @Sally PB -- they puff up their feathers and can cover their feet on a narrower roost.

I appreciate the replies. I think since they won't roost reliably right now anyway because of their age, I might as well wait to change them until they start using them regularly. Then I can observe if the current roosting bars are too thin once the girls are bigger.

Back
Top Bottom