Roost Bars!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by colbye12, Apr 12, 2011.

1. colbye12

colbye12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    When should I place a roost in for my baby chicks? Is there any need for a roost bar? THANKS!

2. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    We just put a 1" dowel in our brooder over the weekend. It was roughly 2.5' long. The girls are two weeks old. DH made a little ladder out of dowels too. They are using both roosts and loving them.

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I just put sticks in there...the girls love them! They are 2 weeks old.

4. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    I've got some baby roost bars (branch about 3" off the ground, attached to 2 x 4 blocks ) that mine were using before they were 2 weeks old. You'll find they like to perch on the waterer & feeder (& poop in them) or anything w/ a little height so probably the sooner the better.

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    We did not put one in our brooder last year when we first got our chicks. Am going to this year. Last year finally put a couple of boxes in they could get up on. They like a place they can get up on and survey their surroundings. Still the grown up chickens like having that.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I like to have roost in place by time chicks are 8 weeks of age. They are highly variable in terms of age when first used. For me, earlier use is better to keep birds from piling and sleeping in feces.

7. birdstheword

birdstheword Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    My 3 week olds have been using them. I use about about a 1 1/2" diameter tree branch. The Silky couldn't reach the highest (about a foot up) one so I made steps for her

8. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    my chicks are 1 week old. I put a 1" dowel, fastened to a piece of 2x4 at each end so it is about 2.5" above the floor of the brooder box. the next morning two of the six had it figured out and were sitting on it. Don't know how many have tried it yet.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Most discussion here of "roost" bar is elevated location for chicks during daylight hours. Alternative is elevated location used at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by