Roost Ideas

MnChicken6

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 22, 2014
We have 4 hens in a 4ftx4ft coop. On the one side there is a large door to open for cleaning, on the front is the chicken door for them to go into run. We currently have a ladder roost which consist of 2x4's turned wide side up. The hens seem to like it, but its close to the back wall, and poop is getting on wall. Anyone have any ideas for a different roost set up for a smaller coop, limited to size and placement somewhat with having large clean out door. Any suggestions would be helpful, pictures as well if you have them.

I have a similar set up but mine is 4x8. I screwed the top of the ladder to the wall frames loosely so the ladder would lift up like a hinge. That way i can clean under it easily. As far as poop on the wall, I would remove the top roost bar or just move it down a liitle so they wont be so close to the wall.

Anyone with a 4ftx4ft coop have any pictures of their roost so we can get an idea on how to improve ours? Also what are peoples opinions on poop boards?

Anyone with a 4ftx4ft coop have any pictures of their roost so we can get an idea on how to improve ours? Also what are peoples opinions on poop boards?

HUGE fan of poop boards - will never not have them now that I have experienced the joys of life with them.
It might be helpful to see pictures of your setup so that we can see where changes are most possible

Also HUGE fan of poop boards with PDZ, see 'My Coop' for pics of mine.

4x4 coop doesn't leave much room for a poop board as they need to be about 2 feet wide.
Pics would help folks make suggestions

We recycled an old swing set to give more roosting options for the girls. They have jumped on it and checked it out but today is day one. Anyone ever try this and if so what were your results?

Back
Top Bottom