Roost question.

Great discussion! I am still in the planning stages of my coop, so this is helping a lot. I am thinking I will put both a tree limb and a 2x4 for my roosts and see what it preferred.

For those of you that use 2x4's do you paint/seal them with anything to help keep them clean?

Thanks!

I first used a treated wood and painted it with a deck sealer in a color to match the "decor"...had 3 get early bumble foot when they wore thru to the wood, all cleared up when I tossed those and now use only non-treated plain, unpainted 2x4's. just sand to remove rough areas - and slightly take the square off the edges.

Make sure you use roost supports that allow easily removal of the roosts and you can remove, clean, or replace whenever they get grungy.

He did go fabric shopping for the nesting box curtains last weekend!
I made some easy, cheap ones ---- old pair of jeans or other cotton fabric. attach velcro above the nests and onto the top of the curtains....easy to put up and when poopy just toss and add new ones.

My gals did seem to need those when they were young, but after a couple of years I removed them to try to break a broody and no one ever noticed when I just left them off, LOL.

Great discussion! I am still in the planning stages of my coop, so this is helping a lot. I am thinking I will put both a tree limb and a 2x4 for my roosts and see what it preferred.

For those of you that use 2x4's do you paint/seal them with anything to help keep them clean?

Thanks!
That's what I'm thinking, giving them a choice.

I also use 2x4 with wide side up. Cheap white wood studs from HD. In my case I think it is easier for them to all walk around to find their special spot for sleeping. I have a lot of birds and they move around a lot before finally settling in for the night. Tree branches would make for more delicate tight rope walking, in my opinion.
The only problem I have had is poo build up on the roosts. I think with a smaller branch, poo would come out the vent and hit the floor rather than land on the roost.
Production 2x4's already have a somewhat rounded edge to them, so there is no need for me to route them. I also change all out all the boards twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom