Roost questions...

TubbyChicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Kentucky
I have a lot of branches to use as roosts but have a few questions...Should the bark be removed and how would I go about it? (I've heard the bark can house mites and lice). Would sand paper work?

Are round roosts preferable to flat?

Does anyone have pictures of their roosts to share?

i never used branches but you do want them flat like take a 2x4 and lay it so the flat side is up here are some pictures of my roosts. hope this helps you out..

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

I've never heard of bark causing mites. I do know you don't want your roosts to be smooth. Certainly, chickens evolved to roost on branches with bark.

Flat roosts seem popular here, but I've never seen anywhere else where anything but rounded lumber was recommended. But they seem to work.

I have both flat, smooth 2X4s as roosts and branches with bark. The chickens almost always roost on the branches. It never occurred to me to remove the bark but I suppose it would at least be easier to see mites on the smooth wood.

Bark dosn't cause mites but it can provide a home for them. With all the cracks and crevices it will be difficult to get rid of them.
Chickens prefer a flat surface, esp. the heavier breeds. They do not grip as well as the wild Jungle Fowl they are descended from.
I use a branch in their run for fun. Their roost in the coop are a 2x4 flat side up. My co-worker recommended rounded wood but then told me about how her chickens lost some of their toes in winter
sad.png

I don't think the bark can cause mites...just harbor them a little easier!

I'm thinking I may just find the smoothest branches and use them with the bark intact. If I have any issues I'll just sand and replace. Thanks!

Its the round wood dowels she was using for her chickens roost. In winter the feathers don't cover their toes and they got frostbit and lost some of them
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom