Roost size

siggy327

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2020
How big of a roost do I need for 20 chickens? The one I have right now has been good for our 8 older chickens. We have lost 3 of those but now have 15 new ones ready to mix into the old flock. I'm not sure this roost will hold them all.

The usual guideline is 1 foot of roost per adult, standard-sized hen.

I have no *personal* experience with this yet, but I've read a lot of cases where a larger flock benefits from having multiple roosts so that low-status birds can roost at a respectful distance from their dominant sisters. :)

My plan for the new coop is an L-shaped arrangement.

My plan for the new coop is an L-shaped arrangement.
I did that originally but added another leg to make it U-shaped. Some day, I'm going to lower my nest box arrangement and run another roost/poop board on that wall too so it will be nearly a circle. I'll have the door into the coop and the cleanout door left free.
roost pile up.jpg
Coop ventilation.png

The PB/roost on the left was added after the second batch of chicks were integrated.
The next PB/roost I put in will be right in front of where the camera is in the second picture.
nest box curtains.jpg

When I lower the nest box, the new PB/roost will run in line with the rest. That will give me 31' of roost space.

I did that originally but added another leg to make it U-shaped. Some day, I'm going to lower my nest box arrangement and run another roost/poop board on that wall too so it will be nearly a circle. I'll have the door into the coop and the cleanout door left free.
View attachment 2814205View attachment 2814206
The PB/roost on the left was added after the second batch of chicks were integrated.
The next PB/roost I put in will be right in front of where the camera is in the second picture.
View attachment 2814208
When I lower the nest box, the new PB/roost will run in line with the rest. That will give me 31' of roost space.
I love this! How far from the floor did you put the poop tray? And then how far from the poop tray did you put the roost?

I love this! How far from the floor did you put the poop tray? And then how far from the poop tray did you put the roost?
The entire build and design are in the article I wrote.
The surface of the poop board is 34" from the floor of the coop and the surface of the roost is 13" from the surface of the poop board.

Back
Top Bottom