Roost space from wall???

jjpiper

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
I'm at the roost building stage. I have read all about the height and spacing but not how close or far from the wall. I can't seem to find a thread for this. I am planning on using the flat sided 2x4 roosts and they will have alot more than 10 inches of side to side space each. I want to make a 2 tier roost. 1 at 24" another at 36" and perhaps a third 1 foot higher. How close can the roost be to the wall? And how close can the higher roost be from the first roost? Obviously they can not be directly on top of one another. I thought I could arrange it like steps. I need to get it as close to the wall as I can without being too close. Standard not Bantam. Thanks for your help. JJ.

I was thinking 12" would be good but thought if you only need 10" across then it might be okay in both directions. I guess they are longer than they are wide. Thanks.

Also forgot to ask. Can I have lower roost on one wall and then higher roost at 90 degree angle on next wall.

Thanks everyone. I know I'm changing the subject but it's related. How high is too high for a roost. Some people mentioned foot problems or chickens roosting in nest box because roost was too high etc. I'm thinking 24" and/or 36".

My roosts are 4 ft from the ground, and droppings board under it at 3 ft off the ground. I also have a ladder of sorts, that leads up to the roosts, and it has 3 steps..... though few use it. The reason I have this height is, it was recommended to me and I can easily check over the birds on the roosts at night if needed (light overhead).

I think your 24" and 36" is a good idea also. My coop is 8 ft tall, and some of the birds actually get up in the end top framing area! They will roost at the highest point they can get to.

You will probably find that all the chickens will end up on the upper roost no matter how many roosts you have. They just seen to like to be on top. Mine all pack onto the top roost and the little ones squeeze in between. 12-14" from the wall works well.

Back
Top Bottom