Roost

Chickens poop while they sleep.

If they're in a pile on the floor, in a nest, or on a shelf they'll be sitting in their poop all night and end up with messy rear ends -- potentially leading to flystrike.

In the wild chickens roost in trees. In our coops we should, optimally, give them the option to engage in as many natural behaviors as are consistent with good management. :)

Chickens poop while they sleep.

If they're in a pile on the floor, in a nest, or on a shelf they'll be sitting in their poop all night and end up with messy rear ends -- potentially leading to flystrike.

In the wild chickens roost in trees. In our coops we should, optimally, give them the option to engage in as many natural behaviors as are consistent with good management. :)
Man started out living in a cave. My man cave has no rocks or animal furs. My Grandma said if i wanted to act like a wild caveman, i would have to do it outside.
I use 2x4s for my roost. Chickens want to act like cavemen they can do it outside my coop. :plbb

Could I use pallets for them? Someone said thier toes aren’t supposed to be curled like parrots tho

One of my lower roosts in my coop is a pallet stood on it's side.

They don't curl their toes and grab like parrots, but they do like sleeping as high up as they can get.

I'm on my Chromebook or I'd show you a photo of my Wyandotte girls sleeping up on the diagonal brace.

Roosts make them feel safe.
They can hear predators creeping around at night and thinking they are hidden up in a tree helps them stay calm.
Gripping a roost is different from laying on a board.
If you need logic rather than emotion, stressed birds are less productive.

It's one of the smallest investments in chicken keeping to give them the kind of bed they like.

Roosts make them feel safe.
They can hear predators creeping around at night and thinking they are hidden up in a tree helps them stay calm.
Gripping a roost is different from laying on a board.
If you need logic rather than emotion, stressed birds are less productive.

It's one of the smallest investments in chicken keeping to give them the kind of bed they like.
Yeah but the problem is my dad won’t make me one:barnie

Yeah but the problem is my dad won’t make me one:barnie
How big is your coop? You can use a lot of different things as a roost and put them up quite easily, even if you can find a sturdy and thick branch somewhere you could use that. Or some old unused wood for free from somewhere can be cleaned and attached up.
If you have access to a drill + some screws you’d probably be able to just watch a video or something guiding you how to drill it up.
It will definitely benefit your chickens and make things cleaner🙂

Back
Top Bottom