Roost

Chickens poop while they sleep.

If they're in a pile on the floor, in a nest, or on a shelf they'll be sitting in their poop all night and end up with messy rear ends -- potentially leading to flystrike.

In the wild chickens roost in trees. In our coops we should, optimally, give them the option to engage in as many natural behaviors as are consistent with good management. :)

How big is your coop? You can use a lot of different things as a roost and put them up quite easily, even if you can find a sturdy and thick branch somewhere you could use that. Or some old unused wood for free from somewhere can be cleaned and attached up.
If you have access to a drill + some screws you’d probably be able to just watch a video or something guiding you how to drill it up.
It will definitely benefit your chickens and make things cleaner🙂
Just to add to that another option (if you can find the materials for the roost) is to buy a couple brackets, which can be bought quite cheap and the wood your using just simply slots in

Attachments

• 95BD3E88-B5E8-49CA-BBD4-9C7E1829ECE8.png
    95BD3E88-B5E8-49CA-BBD4-9C7E1829ECE8.png
    674.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 460E4BB5-15FA-45F5-BF85-050578B358B6.png
    460E4BB5-15FA-45F5-BF85-050578B358B6.png
    494.8 KB · Views: 3
Chickens poop while they sleep.

If they're in a pile on the floor, in a nest, or on a shelf they'll be sitting in their poop all night and end up with messy rear ends -- potentially leading to flystrike.

In the wild chickens roost in trees. In our coops we should, optimally, give them the option to engage in as many natural behaviors as are consistent with good management. :)
Man started out living in a cave. My man cave has no rocks or animal furs. My Grandma said if i wanted to act like a wild caveman, i would have to do it outside.
I use 2x4s for my roost. Chickens want to act like cavemen they can do it outside my coop. :plbb

Yeah but the problem is my dad won’t make me one:barnie
How big is your coop? You can use a lot of different things as a roost and put them up quite easily, even if you can find a sturdy and thick branch somewhere you could use that. Or some old unused wood for free from somewhere can be cleaned and attached up.
If you have access to a drill + some screws you’d probably be able to just watch a video or something guiding you how to drill it up.
It will definitely benefit your chickens and make things cleaner🙂

Picture?

Or check clearances... they sometimes like to squish into spaces but usually like to be able to stretch so 12" behind, in front of and, if there is more than one roost bar, between the bars usually works better. Also similar clearances to the sides and above. They need take off and landing space - usually clear floor space out to a 45 degree angle (3' out if it is 3' high, for example). And they may need to see that it has clearances enough.

The heavier the chicken, the lower the roost needs to be.

If it is not noticeably higher than an alternative, they tend to pick the alternative.

Chickens don't like change; it may take a while for them to get used to the roost being there or to get brave enough to try it.

There could be other reasons - that is why the picture could help.

Back
Top Bottom