Rooster abuse?

2 this spring. Got them from someone last fall just as they were about to molt. The move stifled the molt and it never happened. Haven't felt the belly. Looks a bit swollen, yes...
Are you using supplemental lighting?
Often a move will trigger a molt from stress.

One thing I have seen here but only saw once..... A hen was in the nest box to lay and another wanted THAT box. The one in the box had her rear to the opening to stop the head pecking so the hen out of the box started pulling butt feathers. Worth watching for.

I still do not think it is entirely from the roo. They grab head feathers too and that hen does not show any damage on the back of her head. I would think if the roo did all the back damage there would be at least a little damage elsewhere.

Another thing I have seen and it really causes a lot of damage is mice in the coop. We had a banner year for mice and my hens were looking awful. I went out after they went to roost to find mice ON the sleeping birds taking feathers right off my birds! Needless to say traps and control methods needed to be set up. If there are mouse droppings set up traps and do take action.

Last edited:
I’m not going to get into causes, others have handled that well. If the entire feather is gone, it should grow back reasonably soon. If part of the shaft is still there, they will not grow new feathers until they molt.

If mechanical damage is part of the reason, if your scratch doesn’t have it already I’d include BOSS, Black Oil Sunflower Seed, in their diet. It doesn’t take a lot, just a little. That’s not because of the high protein content of BOSS, but as the name implies, BOSS has a lot of oil. That oil will make the feathers shiny and glossy, but hopefully it will also make them less brittle, maybe stopping them from being so easy to break if it is mechanical damage.

I use a pyrethrin based poultry dust, sevin I don't think is sold anymore as it's very toxic.

I catch the bird and hold onto it's feet with it's chest on the ground, dusting it in an undignified upside position, be careful as some chickens have troubles breathing in that position. If you see the comb become purple I would release the bird. After I dust them I rub it in a bit than let them go.

I will also dust nestboxes under the bedding by removing all bedding than sprinkling a bit than replacing the bedding with fresh stuff. Also I dust all roost cracks.

Look closely at each bird at night, with a flashlight. Mites are tiny brown bugs, lice look similar, and both can occur and need to be treated. Carbaryl is banned for use in poultry in the USA, so use permethrin spray (easiest!) or dust instead. Look at the permethrin spray thread for details! Mary

Back
Top Bottom