Rooster acting lethargic and besides himself.

Chopper112

Chirping
Sep 2, 2018
Need help!!! Yesterday we had a hawk attack on one of my hens in our flock. My rooster witnessed it and has been acting lethargic and not himself at all. He keeps closing his eyes, stands in one spot and buries his head in his feathers. I'm assuming he saw the attack and has emotional withdrawal from seeing her attacked and killed. There were feathers everywhere when I can out to there chicken run. We never in the 4.5 years we had chickens had a attack. We are now putting chicken wire overhead. Is this the problem or is he sick? He is a light brahma, big gentle sweet boy. No crowing, interaction, not really eating like he normally does either, etc..... comb looks good and he has fine until this just happened. Please advise, please anyone. I don't want to assume and could have been proactive to take him to our vet if it sounds like something else?? Thanks in advance!

I think your boy is in shock.

And mourning, too, and feeling like he’s failed.

Give him the same love and consideration you’d give any family member under these circumstances. Offer engagement quietly. He knows you’re there.

I’m so sorry for your, and his, loss. Time will help, but first you both, and the sister hens, will go through a sad time. Hearts ♥️ out here are wrapped around you all.

I think your boy is in shock.

And mourning, too, and feeling like he’s failed.

Give him the same love and consideration you’d give any family member under these circumstances. Offer engagement quietly. He knows you’re there.

I’m so sorry for your, and his, loss. Time will help, but first you both, and the sister hens, will go through a sad time. Hearts ♥ out here are wrapped around you all.
Need help!!! Yesterday we had a hawk attack on one of my hens in our flock. My rooster witnessed it and has been acting lethargic and not himself at all. He keeps closing his eyes, stands in one spot and buries his head in his feathers. I'm assuming he saw the attack and has emotional withdrawal from seeing her attacked and killed. There were feathers everywhere when I can out to there chicken run. We never in the 4.5 years we had chickens had a attack. We are now putting chicken wire overhead. Is this the problem or is he sick? He is a light brahma, big gentle sweet boy. No crowing, interaction, not really eating like he normally does either, etc..... comb looks good and he has fine until this just happened. Please advise, please anyone. I don't want to assume and could have been proactive to take him to our vet if it sounds like something else?? Thanks in advance!
Thank you very much! I thought that is what it was, but I didn't want to assume. I know by now owning chickens for 4 years now that when it comes to chickens time is of the essence with health issues because they hide it so well. They are all pets and considered family. Your response back quickly is greatly appreciated! Thanks again!!🥰

Back
Top Bottom