Rooster acting like a hen 🤣

Oct 2, 2021
Our Standard Light Sussex rooster is a weird one please tell me I'm not the only one!???
Every time a hen (he is in with 6) goes in to lay an egg he goes and sits next to her at times pushes her off the nest until they scream at him and he backs away a little way. Then if the hen spots me they come running thinking they are going to get treats and he does this whole broody hen clucking noise and goes and sits on whatever eggs are in the nest, until she gets back on the nest. Is this normal!? Or is he really mixed up 🤣🤦‍♀🤷‍♀️

Our Standard Light Sussex rooster is a weird one please tell me I'm not the only one!???
Every time a hen (he is in with 6) goes in to lay an egg he goes and sits next to her at times pushes her off the nest until they scream at him and he backs away a little way. Then if the hen spots me they come running thinking they are going to get treats and he does this whole broody hen clucking noise and goes and sits on whatever eggs are in the nest, until she gets back on the nest. Is this normal!? Or is he really mixed up 🤣🤦‍♀🤷‍♀️
My male duck sits next to his mate while she lays an egg but this? Wow 🤣🤣

The rooster is showing them where it is safe to lay their eggs and even protects the eggs keeping them warm.

Although at first sight this seems funny for a male to do, this for me is a very desirable behaviour in a rooster showing his superior social skills.
These individuals usually sit beside the nest during hatch greeting the newly hatched chicks with soothing sounds and they take especially good care of the chicks feeding and protecting them, even sitting down like a mother hen to keep them warm.

My rooster does this, too. He tries to make nests on the floor of the coop for his hens, who then push him out of the way so they can try it out. More often than not, they don’t like it, and go into a nest box to lay their eggs. I have one that’s been laying on the floor under the roost, because he keeps making a nest for her under there. He stands next to her and waits while she lays it, and is very polite. He has also gotten into a nesting box before, but I try to discourage that, for fear he’ll break the eggs trying to make a nest.

The rooster is showing them where it is safe to lay their eggs and even protects the eggs keeping them warm.

Although at first sight this seems funny for a male to do, this for me is a very desirable behaviour in a rooster showing his superior social skills.
These individuals usually sit beside the nest during hatch greeting the newly hatched chicks with soothing sounds and they take especially good care of the chicks feeding and protecting them, even sitting down like a mother hen to keep them warm.
This is true-
I used to have a rooster that would brood eggs and chicks when the hen was away.

Back
Top Bottom