Rooster acting up

Personally, I figure that whatever his instincts might be saying, a rooster has no business attacking any of the Giants Who Bring Food no matter what we're wearing. :)

By habituating my flock to the idea that the Giant Who Brings Food changes it's feathers often but still Brings Food I believe that I am teaching them to remain calm in the presence of humans so that they can focus on actual dangers.

Yup; I am always interacting with mine. I normally just sit there for a little while after feeding and he typically stands next to me and we just watch the hens. This rooster doesn't roost himself lol. He hasn't since he was a baby and that is my fault. I started picking him up and placing him in the roost when he got old enough. Now, he expects it. He waits by the door and makes little noises until I come in. Then he waits by my feet for me to pick him. It's the funniest thing. When the weather warms; I will break him of that but for now I don't mind.

Yup; I am always interacting with mine. I normally just sit there for a little while after feeding and he typically stands next to me and we just watch the hens. This rooster doesn't roost himself lol. He hasn't since he was a baby and that is my fault. I started picking him up and placing him in the roost when he got old enough. Now, he expects it. He waits by the door and makes little noises until I come in. Then he waits by my feet for me to pick him. It's the funniest thing. When the weather warms; I will break him of that but for now I don't mind.

My Rameses got accustomed to being handled at night because, like so many youngsters, he'd try to sleep in the nests and I'd pick him up and move him to the roost.

My Rameses got accustomed to being handled at night because, like so many youngsters, he'd try to sleep in the nests and I'd pick him up and move him to the roost.
Lol that's where my littles went too. Because it's been so cold at night; I've let them stay up there in the boxes. the nest on the sides like roosting. I just clean up the poo and change the straw. So I have 6 on the roosting bars; momma and the two she hatched stay on the boxes.

Lol that's where my littles went too. Because it's been so cold at night; I've let them stay up there in the boxes. the nest on the sides like roosting. I just clean up the poo and change the straw. So I have 6 on the roosting bars; momma and the two she hatched stay on the boxes.

Unusual circumstances do call for unusual practices.

Where, in general, are you?

If you put your location into your profile people can give better answers to questions when climate matters.

Unusual circumstances do call for unusual practices.

Where, in general, are you?

If you put your location into your profile people can give better answers to questions when climate matters.

Western NC. What I did for this cold snap was wrapped the run with tarps that covered 5 feet high to keep the wind off them; added straw to the coop and made sure it was draft free but kept all venting open. I opened the coop to the run each morning and let them decide what they wanted to do. Most of them ventured outside from time to time and in the afternoon when it was in the 20's they'd spend more time outside. Before bed I would add a little bit of scratch and mealworms in the feed. They did well and no one got frost bite on their combs so that made me feel pretty good for the first winter.

Figured I would give them the option of being fully protected or playing outside and let their instincts figure it out.

I'm in Moore County. 20-some years ago I was up in Boone.

Figured I would give them the option of being fully protected or playing outside and let their instincts figure it out.

That's my philosophy. Chickens know how to be chickens better than I know how to be a chicken.

My coop is an Open Air style -- designed for blistering heat. I've got a tarp on the most open wall to shelter the roost area a little more (actually put in against Hurricane Ian but left there for the winter). I'm not sure yet if my rooster suffered tip damage on his comb or not.

I'm in Moore County. 20-some years ago I was up in Boone.

That's my philosophy. Chickens know how to be chickens better than I know how to be a chicken.

My coop is an Open Air style -- designed for blistering heat. I've got a tarp on the most open wall to shelter the roost area a little more (actually put in against Hurricane Ian but left there for the winter). I'm not sure yet if my rooster suffered tip damage on his comb or not.

Mine is also open air style. I boarded up the open areas and added a tarp around the roost area. It's cold in there for me but they seem just fine with an option to burrow into straw if they wanted to

My previous rooster got aggressive on me one good time. He lunged and I caught him in mid air and held him down the ground with his face in the dirt for a few minutes until he stopped screaming. I let him up and started paying attention to his behavior and what things were taking place.

Come to find out; bright colors and the color red absolutely made him act different than anything else. That time he lunged at me when seemingly fine otherwise; I was wearing a red hoody. When I wore dark neutral or jeans, he was a different rooster.

He is gone now as he got sick and I have one of his offspring. Raised by a broody. I let her hatch 2 eggs. One was a rooster and the other a hen. This little guy has learned who I am and what role I play. I am sure he will test the waters. However; I remember not to wear red or bright colors. I tested that theory actually the other day. I wore a red hat. He was visibly less comfortable. So; I am going to make sure I just take a little more time to understand how he reacts when I do things.
I believe this to be true ! If I wear my furry boots mine acts slightly different towards me too! But hasn’t done anything so far !

Back
Top Bottom