Rooster Acting Up

coryleslie

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2022
We have three sets of chickens that we got at different times, and they are all in different coops next to each other. Set 1: Roo and (4) hens- aged 1 year. Set 2: six-month old Easter egger hens, and Set 3: four four-month old silkies - sex undetermined. The 1-year old group and Easter egger hens have been grazing in the yard together for a month. The rooster decided to claim them for his flock, which is fine. But the Easter Eggers still go in their coop and he goes to his. We've noticed that he races to them when we let them all out, and he's started to get aggressive with us. The rooster has shown aggression before, but I've used the tips on this site and held him down. That helped. However, it's not helping at the moment. My mom isn't ready to give up on him yet, so I'm wondering if this issue might be resolved if we move the two Easter Eggers to his coop. I should also add that the two Easter eggers are being raised by my five year old. He's spent lots of time petting them and holding them so they love people and follow us around in the yard. Suggestions?

I would monitor the cockerel/rooster closely and allow no interaction with your child. It's the time of year and in his life that hormones are very high. He may mature and calm down, but must be kept away from your child.

I would monitor the cockerel/rooster closely and allow no interaction with your child. It's the time of year and in his life that hormones are very high. He may mature and calm down, but must be kept away from your child.
Thanks. I don't let my son out there by himself anymore if the rooster is out. He only goes out to that yard if the roo is locked up or a grownup with a big stick is nearby. He hasn't hurt us, but I never turn my back on him. He likes to sneak up, pretending to peck the ground, and then goes for me or my mom. I'm ready for him to be chicken dinner, but my mom is still attached. He's on his last leg with me.

If it were me, since your mom wants to keep the rooster, I would fence the one year olds into their own confined area. I think it's way more important that your child gets to continue to interact with his EEs and not have to worry about getting attacked.

I’ve had great success with Corning my rooster in the run and pushing him back against the wall repeatedly when he try’s to get away. I do this every time he shows aggression! has helped me tremendously

Back
Top Bottom