Rooster advice

Ditto Ranchhand and bec...my grandchildren also know how to treat farm animals and pets. They know the difference, but it is hard to find that perticular day when the chicks grow up to be hens and the roos property. I don't know what I would do without all your help. You have saved me and mine many times.
clap.gif

" understand that as do my kids, but my kids DO NOT chase and yell at my chickens...I don't know about your kids, but my kids know how to treat animals with respect."

Was not trying to demean yor children, but kids act like kids and that can be seen as a threat. Plain and simple.

And.... Hens are fine without a rooster just pat them on the back every once in a while.

Kids, well behaved or not, make alot of noise and move with quick motions. To a rooster who only has a teeny weeny brain, that's exactly how a predator would act.
Keep the kids and roosters seperate; even the best natured rooster. Just MHO.

It's been said that some breeds are more agressive. Care to elaborate? Could it be that he is just not been "won over"? I have a Delaware roo who is new to me and he is not at all friendly and neither are the 4 girls who came with him. 3 are coming to get bread from my hand and snatch it. the fourth won't come near me yet. I've had the 3 seperated from the roo and this hen for a few days. I'm considering getting rid of "nearly headless nick", but wonder if I should try to win him over. Also I have another roo that I raised with 20 hens from chicks. They are used to me.
So I ask, care to elaborate on agressive breeds, and could it be that the OP's roo just needs to be "won over " with kindness and attention?

There definately are some breeds that are more prone to aggressiveness than others, but, I can't elaborate on that because most of that information on my part would be just heresay (however you spell that). I'm sure someone will chime in though.

Great evening.

I would replace him.

When I was young we always had chickens and I'm the one who took care of them so basically they were my chickens. I had an ornery rooster that always tried to attack me too. I gave him to my friends grandpa and I told him to be careful with him because he was mean. He poo poo'd me. Next time I saw him he had a hole in his hand from that rooster. He believed me then.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I am trying to re-home Woody but it has to be a good home. If I did not have young children, I would not worry about keeping him. He will only come after you if one of his girls squaks and he thinks you did something. He will eat bread from my hand and I rake the pen every morning with no problems. It is just the few hours of free ranging with the kids outside that I cannot 100% trust him. Thanks again every one!

Back
Top Bottom