Rooster advice

mwhidden

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Gray, ME
I have a small flock of 14 which includes a 1 yr. old RI Red rooster and a new 4 month old ?? breed rooster. They free range in the afternoon and Woody is very protective of his girls and is very good at keeping them close and announcing his whereabouts. We have not lost one under his watch. My dilemma is I have 2 young children who have been knocked over by Woody while they were trying to play with the hens. Now they are afraid of him. He has gotten me a few times while I wasn't paying attention too. Is this breed more aggressive than other roosters? Should I place him and start over with the new one? Will my hens get eaten by the wildlife if Woody is gone? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Quote:
RIR's are fairly known for their aggressiveness, you could either follow one of the guides on how to establish yourself above him and make him where he doesn't attack you (would also need the kids too, and im assuming that would be quite difficult).. So being the case i would probably eat/get rid of him.

As for the hens lasting it is possible, even with a rooster it's likely they can be eaten.. A good predator detorrent is a dog and gun, roosters can only do so much against hawks, raccons, dogs, possums, etc..

I would be extra careful with a roo who is not being nice. They can hurt a child in a hurry, and I speak from very recent experience. I have a 1 year old rooster (In my avatar)who is beautiful, but has always been a little funny. He had never done anything bad before..he would dance around a little but that was about it. Within the past few months or so, he has gotten really bad. A few days ago, my 5 year old daughter was going out to play on HER swing set and he ran over and attacked her. He punctured her arm with his spurs and scratched her side all up. The ONLY reason I am keeping him is because he is my breeder roo and is now going to be kept on strict lock down. Later that same night he went after my son. He came after me twice last night and ended up having a bucket of water thrown on him. An aggressive rooster is not fun and hands down, kids come first!
I do not have the heart to kill anything, so my next option is to place mine, I recommend that you do the same. I would hate to say it, but take my case as a lesson before something bad happens with your babies.

I have a standard partridge cochin who is an absolute sweetheart! He is so sweet and brings the kids and I treats in the yard. If he is close enough at the time, he will actually protect my kids from the mean roo! If he sees him coming , he will turn and run at him to chase him off. I chose the breed cochin because they are known to be more docile roos.

Thank you so much for your reply! You are absolutely right. Woody is not as aggressive as your naughty boy but still a bit unpredictable and the kids want him to live somewhere else. I am trying to find him a home. Thanks again.

Ceasar was never that aggressive before either, he had never made contact like that. I am still on the fence on whether or not to keep him or re-home him, but because of his breed, I am scared of who would want him and for what reasons.

You may feel bad re-homing Woody. There just may be someone out there who has a nice pen with some hens and he could live out his life there. But the feeling you will have when your kids can go out with out worrying about being chased, will feel great!

When your rooster attacked your child he wasn't being aggressive, he was simply protectng his flock. Kids yell, scream, and chase the chickens around and the cock sees this as a threat. Keep the rooster away from your kids to be on the safe side. I have three young children of my own.

This doesn't really have to do with breed since most any cock would protect his women.

And I wouldn't try to beat the male into submission, this will only make him more aggressive towards other humans.

Last edited:
I understand that as do my kids, but my kids DO NOT chase and yell at my chickens...I don't know about your kids, but my kids know how to treat animals with respect.
As for breed? I think that has something to do with it. There are certain breeds that are more aggressive than others, but there is always an exception to that rule. I have 2 other adult roosters that have never shown any signs of aggression towards people. The one actually protects my kids from the mean rooster and other threats, but has never attacked anything. I think a lot has to do with the particular personality of the bird. If he is going to be aggressive then that is just how he will always be. If it's a problem, re-home or do away with. It is your personal choice if you want to live avoiding what will upset your rooster. Mine will live penned from now on only because he is key in my breeding program.

I am not sure of the OP's situation, but my flock ranges around my backyard and my children will NEVER have to avoid or feel scared their area because of a rooster. As I said before, children come first.

ETA: I am not at all trying to sound mean or rude
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That may be the key to the problem. When the children are "playing with the hens" Woody is defending his flock, since that is a rooster's job. Most roosters are somewhat agressive, some breeds more than others.

I have one rooster that I never turn my back on, and another I trust completely. It's just one of those things you deal with; the agressive one doesn't get to free range. His girls get to, but he isn't allowed.

My suggestion would be to keep children and roo apart, even if it means no free ranging for Woody. And teach the children that chickens are not like cats or dogs, playing makes them feel threatened.

As a side note, I know Bec's children and her roo Ceasar- the kids don't chase the chickens, or scream at them. The kids grew up around livestock and have been taught not to. Ceasar is just reaching full maturity at one year, and is becoming more agressive, so he gets to live in a pen- no beating involved!

Becca, thanks again for your input. And you are right, I do feel bad about placing him but I will. I have been a vet tech for 19 years and have passed along to my kids how to treat all animals. I do feel it is a combination of breed, disposition and protectiveness. I really don't need a rooster, I just thought he would protect my hens when they are out. My mother in law hatches chicks each spring in her class room so I do not need to breed. Turns out the other baby rooster I mentioned, now 3 1/2 months tried to peck me and the dog today while I was holding him. I think he can go too! Thanks again, nice to talk with you.

I am sure your girls will be just fine with out a roo...after all us girls are pretty tough and don't NEED a man...just kidding, but anyway, I am sure everything will work out in your favor!
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom