Rooster Aggression Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gilbird, Mar 20, 2018.

1. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    With a toddler around I agree you definitely shouldn't keep him. I hope if you try a rooster again in the future it works out better!

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    Glad it helped. I hear you.... a bad rooster sucks all the fun out of things.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't have anything to add except that I raise my cockerels similar to BantyChooks. As soon as I figure out who the cockerels are, I quit handling them, make them move if I feel like it, and don't back down. I have yet to have an aggressive cockerel since I started doing this. (We'll see how this year goes. Ordering some straight run birds so I can get some for the freezer.)

I agree that with a toddler, you don't want to keep this guy, and you might even want to wait a few years until the little one isn't so little anymore.

Gilbird likes this.
  4. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I would also be getting rid of him, cant have the kids afraid in their own yard! I cage all cocks as soon as they enter puberty, select what I wish to see older and process the rest. Maybe the kids would be enthused over a plate of rooster and dumplings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: