Rooster Aggression

tsperry88

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
I have another thread on this, but to save time reading it all, I'll repost and summarize. I had 3 young roosters. One I culled last week since the oldest 2 of the 3 were always fighting and drawling blood. They had both shown aggression toward me as well. Now the other older rooster tries to spur our hands if we are down playing with the hens. More than likely he will be culled. The question is when. Would it be better to cull him now and let my 19 week old take over as top bird? He isn't hurting anything or anybody yet without spurs, I'm just not sure giving him a chance will change anything.

Try keeping 1 rooster at a time. Allowing them to mature together is most likely making things worse. There’s no guarantee but you’re definitely not doing yourself any favors having multiple roosters competing for the same space and hens.

I'd you have tried teaching him to respect you already, then I'd cull all of them.
Get some boys in the spring to try again.

He respects me mostly. I have to intentionally get down with the hens and be an easy target. My wife he does not respect and I am worried about any kids that go in the run. The 19 week old is still fine. He is timid and kind of whimpers anytime I pick him up. Probably a bad trait for a flock protector, but fine for my wants.

Try keeping 1 rooster at a time. Allowing them to mature together is most likely making things worse. There’s no guarantee but you’re definitely not doing yourself any favors having multiple roosters competing for the same space and hens.

I lost my first rooster at about 14 weeks and figured I would raise 2 the next batch and cull the least likely candidate. I got a few more chicks a couple weeks later and ended up with the 3rd roo.

A rooster can take down a kid and do significant damage to a face.
A rooster who is people aggressive is not a Good rooster to have a round.
Keep the 19 week to see how he turns out. You want a rooster that will protect and lead your hens, but not aggressive to your family.

He respects me mostly. I have to intentionally get down with the hens and be an easy target. My wife he does not respect and I am worried about any kids that go in the run. The 19 week old is still fine. He is timid and kind of whimpers anytime I pick him up. Probably a bad trait for a flock protector, but fine for my wants.

I’d go ahead and cull the older rooster now. And work with the younger one. Pick him up every day for a few mins and have him eat treats out of your hand.

I lost my first rooster at about 14 weeks and figured I would raise 2 the next batch and cull the least likely candidate. I got a few more chicks a couple weeks later and ended up with the 3rd roo.
Nah I know things happen and the idea of selecting the best one of the bunch makes perfect sense. The problem is many times they all get aggressive simply because they’re constantly being harassed by another male.

Thanks. I am leaning toward culling now. He is a hansom fellow. Its unfortunate he isn't sweet. The 19 week old will appreciate being able to mate though, without being chased down.

Nah I know things happen and the idea of selecting the best one of the bunch makes perfect sense. The problem is many times they all get aggressive simply because they’re constantly being harassed by another male.

Plus they act differently around other roosters than by themselves. So just because he was the nicest one out of the bunch he may not be the nicest once the rest are gone, right?

Back
Top Bottom