Rooster and hen questions.

wings

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
Massachusetts
I have one rooster and 4 hens. (I will be getting about 5 more soon.) How often will the rooster really hurt the hens when trying to mate? Can he really do a lot of damage? What are the chances of him hurting them? Also, is it bad that there are only four hens for my rooster? Our hens are our main priority, so if he is going to hurt them, we'll eat him!

With only 4 hens they are bound to get a bit beat up from being over mated. You need at least 10 to 12 hens per rooster. I learned that the hard way. It wasn't the roosters fault it was mine for not providing enough hens for him

Last edited:
The last post just answered one of my questions. Thankyou. The next would be how long after the rooster arrives in the hen house, mates the hen the same day (obviously a number of times) does the egg that she lays each day become fertile. I know I have to incubate for a number of days before seeing spiders and confirming fertility etc.

Also please can someone advise whether spurs can be cut ( reduced in size) in an aged but still very active rooster. His are about 3" long and I have just been loaned him.

A friend just quickly suggested I try kerosene and water mixed together in a spray bottle to try and lesson the mite growth which is very thick around the same roosters legs. Any other suggestions welcomed please

Back
Top Bottom