Rooster and Hen

GoldpartridgeHen

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2018
England
My Coop
My Coop
When a rooster is with hens for abt a week, does that mean every egg the hens lay is fertile until you take the rooster away, or is there a limit for how long the eggs are fertile.

or do they just do at a specific time of the year

help would be appreciated.
:)

When a rooster is with hens for abt a week, does that mean every egg the hens lay is fertile until you take the rooster away, or is there a limit for how long the eggs are fertile.

or do they just do at a specific time of the year

help would be appreciated.
:)
If he has been successfully mating her, all the eggs she lays will be fertile for at least a week after he has been removed. Crack one open and inspect the yolk for fertility. If you aren't sure what to look for, these are fertile eggs. Look at the white dot on the yolk. It has a bullseye ring around it (blastoderm) indicating fertility. If the white dot has no ring (blastodisc), it is not fertile.
fertile eggs.jpg

If he has been successfully mating her, all the eggs she lays will be fertile for at least a week after he has been removed. Crack one open and inspect the yolk for fertility. If you aren't sure what to look for, these are fertile eggs. Look at the white dot on the yolk. It has a bullseye ring around it (blastoderm) indicating fertility. If the white dot has no ring (blastodisc), it is not fertile.
View attachment 1776192

ok, good to know!

so if I keep a rooster in there permanently, all eggs will be fertile if he has been mating them successfully

Sperm can be held by a hen for up to about 4 weeks.
Most cock/erels will be active all year long,
tho may be more in the spring/summer and less in the fall/winter.

Back
Top Bottom