Rooster and large red bump

Ashleyburgess

Hatching
Feb 6, 2024
Our rooster recently started to get slower. He originally began to have troubles walking and now he just can’t walk on his own. Pleas help ! I have no idea what this is other than possibly a feather cyst but I’m not so sure

Attachments

• IMG_9747.jpeg
    IMG_9747.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9746.jpeg
    IMG_9746.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 11
It’s right on the back of his neck, doesn’t seem to be attached to anything internally but unsure. He’s still not moving much.
Interesting... I've never heard of anything like that before. Hopefully he gets better! Is a vet possible? The vet would be able to tell you if was cancer or something else. Possibly, @azygous and/or @nuthatched knows something?.

I am leaning towards it being a squamous skin cancer. It's characterized by a rim of raised tissue with a dark scabby center.

There is a way to find out. Treat it as a wound, and if it grows larger instead of getting better, it's cancer.

To treat as a wound, wash well with soap and water and keep an antibiotic wound ointment on it. It should heal quickly with proper wound care. A small one like that should heal over within two weeks.

However, every "wound" like that I've seen in my flock grew larger over time instead of healing and resolving.

I agree with Azygous. Can you look over the whole body, and look for any smaller lesions that look like a small crater or scabbed area? Squamous cell cancer is common, and they‘re can be others nearby or metastasis. Abscessed wounds and ingrown feather cysts are other common causes of scabby froths. If it grows, it may be cancer. Let us know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom