Rooster and Mama Hen turned mean after chicks were a month and a half.

JessieKell

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Two of our hens hatched nine chicks about a month and a half ago. Everything was going perfect. Mama hens were sharing the responsibility and getting along perfectly, and the other flock members were leaving them alone. Within the past couple of weeks one of the mama hens has turned on her chicks and seeks to peck them even to the point of going into their nesting box at night and just goes after them. Around the same time the rooster has been doing the same. My flock used to get along so well, but now it seems some have just turned mean. The other hens have followed suit and peck them in their nesting boxes. This morning I caught the former mama hen and our rooster outright going after and on top of one of our ducks who always minds her own business so I just can’t understand why. For frame of reference they spend half the day in a free ranging fence and completely free range at night. I would appreciate help if anyone has advise. Thanks so much in advance!

Yes, it’s weaning. This is how chicks are taught to be independent. Tough love. They must learn their place in the flock. From spoiled royalty to the lowest in the pecking order.
My most recent hen hatched just one chick, and weaned it at 4 weeks. It turned out to be a cockerel.

Yes, it’s weaning. This is how chicks are taught to be independent. Tough love. They must learn their place in the flock. From spoiled royalty to the lowest in the pecking order.
My most recent hen hatched just one chick, and weaned it at 4 weeks. It turned out to be a cockerel.
Thank you so much for the help. I just didn’t expect her to turn so mean and the other hen still mothers them as if they just hatched so it’s so interesting to watch. Really?! Wow. That is tough. Ha thank you again! :)

they spend half the day in a free ranging fence and completely free range at night.
Chickens dont "range" at night.
They roost and sleep, hopefully in a safe and secure coop.

The hen's have weaned the chicks, normal, and now will be established in to the flock by pecking order. Also normal flock behavior. Hard to watch sometimes.
Give them clutter and hide spots to escape. Extra roosts and extra feed and water stations help.
The result of letting them sleep in a nest box is going to be a dirty mess.

Back
Top Bottom