Rooster as a pet?

im truly sorry you cant keep a rooster but these laws are in place for a reason

Al
I'm sorry, but I keep missing this one, what is the reason you can have a dog that barks incessantly, a car alarm that goes off with the wind, car radios thumping all day and night,sirens going by day and night but you can only have hens because of the noise a rooster makes?...What's that reason again?

thats a question for a bylaw officer or city council. im sure they will say so you can keep hens... a compromise. the argument always brought up is people want to produce their own eggs, well roosters dont lay eggs. im not disagreeing with you, but if your city allows you to keep poultry at all ya better follow the rules or they will change them. before I moved to the farm 2 years ago the city I lived in allowed one to keep a dozen bantams hens or roosters. they had guidelines laid out in order to house and not disrupt the neighbours. I never had any bylaw officer knock on my door but if they did they wouldnt have been there long as I was following there guidlines to a T. I still have those lil guys to!

man am I glad I live in the country!

Al

Last edited:
The no rooster thing in our city is because of the noise. In the house = no noise to bother the neighbors. I don't buy the livestock are inherently dirty idea. I'd like to see proof that housing one rooster would be any dirtier than a large tropical bird (or in the house any noisier really, have you heard some of those parrots squawk!?). I've heard of people that keep pigs in the house like dogs who claim they are no dirtier than dogs.

The socialization I could see being an issue though he would have plenty of human companionship.

As far as the laws being there for a reason I think it is often because of unfounded fears of the general public - and many cities are now arguing against them and getting them overturned.

If you want a chicken in the house, you can buy chicken diapers. No poop on the floor! I have 3 cats & when they use the litter boxes, I know they are tracking waste when they walk around. It's just as bad. They are not allowed on counters or tables. (When we're home to watch!). I say go for it & enjoy your rooster. If it doesn't work out you can try to rehome him
1f60a.png

Here is a true story of a house rooster. I know it's true because I raised this roo from a baby chick.

Walter is now a three-year old SLW. I raised him for the first five weeks of his life and then he went to live in another flock with older hens as well as pullets his own age. But as Walter came into his hormones, his new owner was not happy with the rough treatment one of his older hens was getting from young Walter. And young Walter was a tad over-eager with the pullets, too. So one day, my friend packed up Walter in a crate and put him in his truck.

My friend's intention was to take him to the local animal shelter that has a policy to find homes for roosters like Walter. But the animal shelter didn't open for another hour, so my friend decided to head over the mountain pass to get some building materials to kill time until the shelter opened.

At the lumber yard, he happened to mention to the yard hand that he was on his way to the animal shelter with his rooster so they could find a home for him since he was too rough on his hens to make keeping him an option. The yard hand, excited at hearing this said, "Can I have him?"

After making sure this young man intended to give Walter a good home and not cook him for dinner, my friend turned Walter over to him.

A few weeks later, my friend was back for more building materials and inquired after Walter. The yard hand happily gave him a full report.

Walter was adjusting very well to his new life. The family was very happy having a rooster as a pet, with the exception of the wife who found Walter's behavior sometimes a bit too aggressive for her taste.

Walter was currently a house rooster, watching TV with the family in the evenings from the back of the couch. At night, Walter was placed on top a file cabinet in the kitchen where he slept. Walter has bonded with a goat and a basset hound with whom he spends his days out in the yard.

A few months later, I happened to need some building materials so I had the opportunity to get a first hand report on Walter from this yard hand. He told me Walter is a terrific rooster, and everyone loves him! His wife had a few reservations about him, but I gave him some tips that he could instruct his wife to follow that should help her gain the upper hand with the cocky little twerp.

He went on to say Walter still watches TV with the family in the evening, but since it had warmed up, he was now bunking with the basset hound in the dog house out in the yard. But when winter rolls around again, Walter would sleep on the file cabinet again.

I asked him if he thought they might ever decide to eat Walter. He was horrified! "Never!", he insisted. "Walter's an awesome rooster!"

No, I am not pulling your leg. I am not making this up. This is true. It's a charming story because Walter is a charming rooster. Roosters are very smart. I would guess they're almost as smart as an average dog. They are more easily house trained than hens. Every roo I've ever had was paper trained. It was very easy to do. They can also be trained and disciplined to be quite civilized creatures. It's your choice.

Hi there!
Roosters do make good pets, my rooster (the one as my avatar!) Has been with me since he was a fresh chick. But I wouldn't keep him in the house as this can attract flies due to the stench. My rooster has challenged my dog and he understands, that this is one guy to keep in a peaceful mood. He is smart because when he sees me in the backyard, even if I'm faraway, he will come after me, not for any hugs, but to give me a pecking. He can even chase me through narrow spaces. I still like him even if he's an ungrateful bird. However, if you do think of keeping your rooster inside, you could try strapping a diaper on its rear end.( I've heard of it but I've never tried it...)

Last edited:
It's correct that roosters make great pets. Not only that, but if you have a dog or other animals, a rooster is likely to bond with those and be quite content without other chickens.

However, a young cockerel will need training and discipline from now until after he goes through his hormonal phase. This is crucial as a cockerel left undisciplined can turn into quite a tyrant and even become dangerous.

He may have a mellow temperament now, but it's almost guaranteed he will go through some degree of personality change around five or six months of age as the hormones begin to surge. You can get a head start on discipline by holding him frequently and demonstrating your dominance over him.

The way you show dominance is to make it known that you are the one in control. When you pick him up and he isn't in the mood to be held, you tighten your grip, confining his movements until he relaxes, then you release him only when he isn't struggling to get free.

Pick him up frequently throughout the day, from this point on, and do this conditioning exercise. By the time he reaches the hormonal stage, and he begins to challenge you, this conditioning will make it much easier to discipline him, and it won't take but a few weeks to establish what his role is, hormones and all.

Meanwhile, read up on how to discipline a rooster with hormones so you will be clear what the various symptoms of aggression are and how to deal with them.

Back
Top Bottom